PDA

View Full Version : wierd issue with HDD protection

PJG1173
02-03-2014, 02:24 AM
I just want to throw this out there for people in case they run into this issue. A week ago my data logging laptop gave up the ghost and the lcd went out. not being cost effective to fix I bought a new to me laptop. Its a toshiba A505 with a bad hard drive. after replacing the hard drive and reloading the factory software and tuner pro I went out and started datalogging again. after a couple days of logging and making corrections I started to notice the tune was getting worse not better. upon futher inspection of my logs I found breaks in the time sometimes 2 seconds or more of data was missing. I tried different ADX files, multiple reboots, and differnet drivers. about fed up with this laptop after banging my head against it for 2 days straight I smacked the keyboard while trying to record data, low and behold the log paused for a second so I smacked it again and the same thing happened. after further research I found this laptop has a HDD protection program running on it that was parking the heads of the hard drive when it detected vibration (assuming bumps in the road). from the manufactures site:
"Using the acceleration sensor built in the PC, HDD Protection detects vibration, shocks and similar signs in the PC, and automatically moves the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) head to a safe position to reduce the risk of damage that could be caused by head-to-disk contact."
To make a long story short if you have this feature it would be wise to disable it while datalogging if you have a rough riding vehicle...

RobertISaar
02-03-2014, 04:17 AM
you would think they would simply cache to RAM during these events.....

but yes, this has been seen before and has caused some interesting issues to come about.

EagleMark
02-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Good to know! First time I've heard of intermittent HD protection though, usually when it is entered it is a shutdown!

I like my Solid State HD... :innocent2:

Six_Shooter
02-03-2014, 05:15 AM
Good to know! First time I've heard of intermittent HD protection though, usually when it is entered it is a shutdown!

I like my Solid State HD... :innocent2:

I haven't seen that particular reaction, but my Lenovo had this ability and it did cause lost data while logging. I try to make sure this feature is disabled on any laptop I have or new OS installation, when I remember to... lol

I'm waiting for the 1TB SSD to come down to a reasonable price before getting a dedicated SSD for my laptop. I might get a 240 or 500 GB SSD and then a HDD carrier to replace my optical drive as an alternative...

PJG1173
02-03-2014, 05:57 AM
you would think they would simply cache to RAM during these events.....

but yes, this has been seen before and has caused some interesting issues to come about.

thats what I thought too. expecially since I have 8Gb of readyboost cache and a hybrid 1TB drive with 8GB of SSD in it.