PDA

View Full Version : in-tank pump

steveo
01-31-2014, 06:35 AM
~350hp smallblock LT1 daily driver... stock return line setup.

what are some good cheap in-tank fuel pump alternatives?

my walbro is a noisy peice of shit i can't tolerate, and i've heard brand new ones that were also too loud. i also dont think i really require that much flow.

i can't afford a $170 aeromotive

what's a good compromise?

i have a homemade relay kit with gigantic wiring, power draw is not an issue.

EagleMark
01-31-2014, 07:19 AM
Do you need more then a stock AC/Delco (quiet) pump?

dave w
01-31-2014, 07:26 AM
~350hp smallblock LT1 daily driver... stock return line setup.

what are some good cheap in-tank fuel pump alternatives?

my walbro is a noisy peice of shit i can't tolerate, and i've heard brand new ones that were also too loud. i also dont think i really require that much flow.

i can't afford a $170 aeromotive

what's a good compromise?

i have a homemade relay kit with gigantic wiring, power draw is not an issue.

Rock Auto has the DELPHI Part # HP10033 priced at 135.79, includes sender.

Rock Auto has the Airtex Part # E3908 priced at $112.79, sender???.

The last time I needed an EFI fuel pump I purchased a Carter product.

I don't know about the noise of either the Airtex or Delphi parts.

dave w

steveo
01-31-2014, 07:32 AM
Do you need more then a stock AC/Delco (quiet) pump?

i doubt it, i dont even come close to maxing out stock injectors..

maybe i should just try to find a stock pump. i was hoping to find something under a hundred bucks that didnt suck, and wasnt noisy; but at the same time, if im gonna blow $135 i might as well just spend a bit more and get an aeromotive i guess.. i hear they're awesome

EagleMark
01-31-2014, 07:39 AM
There's two designs of electric fuel pumps. Rotor or vane drive, this is the noisier and what Walbro and most aftermarket Carter pumps are. Then the Turbine or impeller drive which is what AC/Delco is and the quieter of the two.

Six_Shooter
01-31-2014, 07:40 AM
The last fuel pump I replaced, which was last week, was over $400, and I did the labour. :facepalm: It's a "Fuel module" but still, way over priced.

Where is your Walbro mounted now? I have one in my Datsun, that is externally mounted and while I can hear, if I listen, it's not terribly loud. Maybe you just need more isolation?

beestoys
01-31-2014, 08:09 AM
i am running the walbro in my camino and it isn't that loud to me but then the flowmasters may be masking it lol.

JeepsAndGuns
01-31-2014, 03:35 PM
There's two designs of electric fuel pumps. Rotor or vane drive, this is the noisier and what Walbro and most aftermarket Carter pumps are. Then the Turbine or impeller drive which is what AC/Delco is and the quieter of the two.

In my 93 wrangler, the factory bosch pump went out years ago. I replaced it with all I could find local at the time (a carter) and it was stupid noisy. I could hear it over my loud exhaust. A few weeks later a found a bosch turbine replacement, installed it and I have not heard it since. Its super quiet.
If you want a quiet pump, I highly reccomend a turbine pump. The super noisy carter pump was a vane pump.

EDZIP
01-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Don't have any experience with that specific pump but I made a mounting platform with (5) of these rubber cushions...works for me with an "external pump" anyway.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/EdJacobi/rubbermounts.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/EdJacobi/media/rubbermounts.jpg.html)

EagleMark
01-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Those are what I use to external mount a pump on a frame rail. If not? Well the frame rail becomes a speaker/amplifier from front to rear on boxed frames.

steveo
01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
my walbro is just hose clamped to where the stock pump was.

it's weird actually, the fuller the tank is, the louder the thing gets.

either way, i was thinking it was going to die, then i heard a few other walbros in peoples cars and they were equally loud.