PDA

View Full Version : bricked ?

ony
01-26-2014, 04:35 PM
I worked on a 2003 5.3 taho Monday, the only code was bank 1 n2 lean the person had changed a lot of things trying to fix it. the only thing I could find was the data on my scanner never changed all the parimiters stayed the same. I haven't run into this before I cleared the codes and setting in the shop they didn't come back, but still no data change, I thought some one might have reflashed it ?

Buzz
01-26-2014, 05:18 PM
If the engine starts and runs, the PCM is not bricked. "Bricked" generally refers to the PCM being in a nonfunctional state.

If this is a stock vehicle, that had otherwise been running OK, then a lean code is often the result of a dead or dying O2 sensor.

You described the DTC code as "bank 1 n2" - I am assuming you are referring to the B1S2 (or driver side downstream sensor - after the catalytic converter).

If this is a modified vehicle (i.e. camshaft upgrade), then a lean code is often a function of the fuels trims reaching the maximum allowed by the PCM - as the VE and MAF values are no longer representative of the engine's airflow. This type of lean code will be from the upstream O2 sensors though - B1S1 or B2S1.

Without more information, my best guess is a dead downstream O2 sensor ....

ony
01-27-2014, 03:23 PM
thanks buzz, I didn't explain very well what I was seeing in the data part of my scanner. the data never changes rpms timming pulse with o2 reading it all stays the same from cold start to operating temp.

EagleMark
01-27-2014, 04:20 PM
If it's running it's not bricked that for sure. What is the Year Make Model? Could be a scanner issue? Some just won't work right without correct YMM entered. Other's will scan for supported PIDS. I had one that was a 2004 IIRC and even the build date was 5 of 2004 so should not have been transitional, but no data until I entered a 2005. Then a 2012 but my scan tool was only updated to 2011.

Should be able to get generic SAE PIDS no matter what. Make specific is sometimes an issue with low end scanners.