PDA

View Full Version : LS1 no injector firing?

EagleMark
01-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Trying to get a 2004 GTO 5.7L LS engine running on aftermarket harness to 12200411 PCM and a 2002 Camaro starter bin.
EDIT: Owner says motor is early or 2003 motor and has 24 tooth Crank Trigger Wheel. 2004 was supposed to change to 58 tooth.

First things checked were Orange wires to PCM and all good at 12 volt. Next up was Pink/Black wires with Key On and all were good at 12 volts except C1 Pin 61 shows no volts?

Traced the wire to CMP and looked up on wiring as CMP Sensor Low Reference. What is voltage supposed to be here?

Voltage at CMP is Red 12 volts, Pink/Black 0 volts and Brown/White signal 0 volts key on.

If this is not the issue can someone walk me through or has diagnostic sheet for no injector firing? Or possibly the 2004 GTO motor not same as 2002 Camaro calibration?

mecanicman
01-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Shoot me a email address and Ill send you the wiring diagrams and gm trouble shooting. Picked the cable up today, thanks for the invoice, made it easy for me.

mecanicman
01-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Got them uploaded, if you need more let me know.

mecanicman
01-11-2014, 09:54 AM
I see after that you are using a camaro o/s and this is for gto. I can get the camaro if you would like. Also, all 2004 gto are 24x. The 2005 ls2 was also to begin with, not sure on the cutoff, 2006 was all 58x. If you can confirm its a 5.7 than it is for sure 24x.

Munchies
01-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Are you getting spark?

Buzz
01-11-2014, 01:50 PM
... First things checked were Orange wires to PCM and all good at 12 volt. Next up was Pink/Black wires with Key On and all were good at 12 volts except C1 Pin 61 shows no volts?

Traced the wire to CMP and looked up on wiring as CMP Sensor Low Reference. What is voltage supposed to be here?

Voltage at CMP is Red 12 volts, Pink/Black 0 volts and Brown/White signal 0 volts key on.

C1 (Blue) pin 61 is the CMP ground - should not be any voltage on this circuit when unplugged from the sensor to check continuity / voltage.

If this is not the issue can someone walk me through or has diagnostic sheet for no injector firing?

Most of the time this is either a VATS issue, or a problem with the wiring harness. Have seen some aftermarket wiring harnesses with the CMP pins inserted into wrong cavities of the CMP plug.

Or possibly the 2004 GTO motor not same as 2002 Camaro calibration?

The calibrations are different - injector flow will need to be altered slightly, as will the VE / MAF - but these are not so different as to prevent a startup - it just may not run optimally.

I have any and all pinouts and schematics you may need - just let me know what would be of assistance, or those that you are missing.

EagleMark
01-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Are you getting spark?Yup, spark on all 8.

EagleMark
01-11-2014, 03:37 PM
C1 (Blue) pin 61 is the CMP ground - should not be any voltage on this circuit when unplugged from the sensor to check continuity / voltage.

Most of the time this is either a VATS issue, or a problem with the wiring harness. Have seen some aftermarket wiring harnesses with the CMP pins inserted into wrong cavities of the CMP plug.

The calibrations are different - injector flow will need to be altered slightly, as will the VE / MAF - but these are not so different as to prevent a startup - it just may not run optimally.

I have any and all pinouts and schematics you may need - just let me know what would be of assistance, or those that you are missing.Thanks Buzz. The Pink/Black really confused me there.

EagleMark
01-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Got them uploaded, if you need more let me know.Thanks mecanicman. I'll look through these and let you and Buzz know if this can't find the issue.

I did all I could with just tuning equipment and they had a test light and cheap DVM. Today I will bring my O scope along with supplied test sheets.

Lextech
01-11-2014, 04:21 PM
The 24x engines have a Black CKP sensor and the 58x engines have a GRAY CKP sensor. I know a mismatch will not run but, I don't know exactly what all doesn't work right (Spark > Fuel > Or both).

Jeff

mecanicman
01-11-2014, 08:13 PM
The 24x engines have a Black CKP sensor and the 58x engines have a GRAY CKP sensor. I know a mismatch will not run but, I don't know exactly what all doesn't work right (Spark > Fuel > Or both).

Jeff

The 04 gto engine is basicly an ls6. It was never made with 58x, nor was any 5.7 ls engine. Your ckp sensor data is one way to tell, but if it has the cam sensor at the back of the intake that is another. Only way for this to be a 58x engine is to be a 6.0 if it is in fact a gto engine.

Lextech
01-11-2014, 08:33 PM
The 04 gto engine is basicly an ls6. It was never made with 58x, nor was any 5.7 ls engine. Your ckp sensor data is one way to tell, but if it has the cam sensor at the back of the intake that is another. Only way for this to be a 58x engine is to be a 6.0 if it is in fact a gto engine.
Exactly Right. The reason I brought up the CKP sensor colors is due to the easy interchangeability of these LS/Gen3/Gen4 parts. When working on someone elses project, you don't always know exactly what you have.

Jeff

mecanicman
01-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Exactly Right. The reason I brought up the CKP sensor colors is due to the easy interchangeability of these LS/Gen3/Gen4 parts. When working on someone elses project, you don't always know exactly what you have.

Jeff

good point

S10LS
01-11-2014, 09:53 PM
See the list I posted below

S10LS
01-11-2014, 10:14 PM
http://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14770&d=1363970440 Sorry try this link instead. All 05-06 Ls2 gto are 24x. They use the E40 ecm which can only run a 24x reluctor engine.

EagleMark
01-12-2014, 05:30 AM
Kind of strange the Pink/Black wire not having 12 volts at key on was a easy find, but in this case not the issue, it should be 0 volts. But also pointed me in right direction as Pin A and B were switched qot Cam Position sensor.

Now we have noid lights! :jfj:

Just no fuel? Owner was at dyno shop and suspected a fuel plumbing issue with his fuel cell with in tank pump and the corvette filter regulator... switched a couple lines and VVVVRRRROOOOMMM! Fired right up!

Buzz
01-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Awesome !!! ... and in the customer's eyes you are his saviour !

EagleMark
01-12-2014, 06:55 AM
I do enjoy these challenges and I learn more and more each time I get involved in a mix match of parts, harness, PCM etc... a lot has to do with my support group here! :wtg: seeing joy in there eyes at the end is very reward-able! :thumbsup:

But the first dyno run only put down 350 HP and about same torque, so not the joy I was looking for? I already had injector data and MAF data in cal, but not much else other then turning off auto trans...

Four more pulls from 3000 to 5500 RPM were it went flat at 415 HP and started to drop at 6000 RPM... torque peak was 426 ft lb at 4200! Now there was joy in his eyes! :rockon:

He and the dyno/engine builder shop owner were very happy with numbers and especially with idle... :rolleye: I told them I had not worked on that yet but will make it idle nice tomorrow! :confused: