PDA

View Full Version : 1998 LS1A PCM ???

dave w
12-28-2013, 01:59 AM
I now have a 1998 LS1A PCM (5.7 liter TransAm). I'm thinking about using this PCM on a 2000 LS 5.3 liter engine. I'm wondering if anybody has successfully used the LS1A PCM on a 5.3 liter?

dave w

mecanicman
12-28-2013, 03:23 AM
98 pcm is a problem ridden odd ball pcm. Any reason you would not want to use an 0411?

dave w
12-28-2013, 03:34 AM
98 pcm is a problem ridden odd ball pcm. Any reason you would not want to use an 0411?

EFI Live does not need a licen$e fee for the 98 PCM.

dave w

mecanicman
12-28-2013, 03:44 AM
ahhh, I see. I have not done a 5.3, but have 6.0 and different stroker combinations. If your staying stockish it will work fine. Just dont try a write entire with it, they have a tendancy to brick.

Buzz
12-28-2013, 04:09 AM
It is a bit of a pay now versus pay later scenario. EFILive enables the LS1-A stream on their V2 interfaces - free of charge. The only available LSx OEM calibrations are from 1997-1998 Corvette or 1998 Camaro / Firebird. All other engines - like the proposed 5.3L would require a custom developed tune - no big deal - just some time spent with your WBO until you get a database of these created.

The PCM connectors are the same - but pinned differently.

Now for the compromise (the downside) ... their is no option to enable performance mode shifting (i.e. no option for Tow / Haul mode) ... no option to enable Lean Cruise mode (though not requested often anyway) ... DBC setups would use a Camaro tune, while any project requiring DBW would require a Corvette tune - and APP & TAC ... Corvette TAC Modules are costly compared to a truck TAC.

Also - good used LS1-A PCMs are becoming harder to find, and increasingly costly.

The available PIDs in the Scan Tool are not as robust for the LS1-A PCMs as they are for the LS1-B PCMs.

To me, time is money - by the time you repin the wiring harness, and rework the tune - you have more than paid for the $125 VIN license fee. Add in the additional cost of the LS1-A PCM itself, and the resultant wiring harness / PCM package will have cost more than if you had used the truck PCM and paid to license it.