PDA

View Full Version : Vintage audio (who's rocking old r2r's, records and cassettes)

damanx
12-20-2013, 05:35 AM
Besides old trucks, I like '70's audio too:

1974 Marantz 6370Q turntable
1973 Marantz 2245 receiver
1976 Marantz 5220 cassette deck
'80's ADC Spectrum Analyzer
and finally a '60's stereo console tube amp.

Six_Shooter
12-20-2013, 06:30 AM
I don't have much in the way of old audio gear anymore, at least not home audio. I do have a bunch of LPs though, most were my uncle's. I think I have a couple record players as well, that need needles. Maybe I'll hook one up in the not too distant future once I make a center speaker shelf, that will open up enough space for a record player.

A couple guys at work are VERY into old audio equipment, and the old boss has shelves upon shelves of tube amplifiers and tubes.

damanx
12-20-2013, 06:54 AM
I have a few 30-40's tube consoles and table tops.

One of my consoles, I will be refinishing the cabinet this x-mas break.

JeepsAndGuns
12-20-2013, 03:33 PM
And I was thinking the 10 year old CD player in my jeep was old...lol.
Interesting collection. We all have our hobbies and things we like to collect. I like to collect matchbox and hotwheels Jeeps, and old militairy surplus rifles.

steveo
12-20-2013, 06:53 PM
i used to play with that stuff a lot

i did have a 2245 too.. it was pretty nice, but i guess i was too much of a tube snob back then

ended up with a studer A810 in my travels.. bunch of old point to point heathkit stuff.. built dozens of my own speakers out of vintage drivers

ended up getting rid of most of it because i was broke, and moved to a quiet neighbourhood where i cant enjoy it

them's the breaks

but i did end up keeping my yamaha CA-1000, it was always my favorite. it doesn't sound colorful and 'vintage' like a marantz, or warm and fuzzy like tubes, it just sounds like...good.

funny device, it's switchable class a to ab, but if you flip the switch without turning the amp off, there's a damn good chance the amount of current transfer will catch the switch on fire. if nothing else, all the lights in the house dim. i have the original owner's manual, and there's no warning in there about it..