PDA

View Full Version : Community garage sale score! Snap On MT-1665 scope

damanx
11-02-2013, 10:33 PM
40 bucks!!!

Lextech
11-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Wanna make a quick $10.00-----Just Kidding. Nice Score.

Jeff

EagleMark
11-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Cool old stuff!

This is how I learned to do proper tune ups...

delcowizzid
11-03-2013, 04:02 AM
dizzy graphing machines are cool

damanx
11-03-2013, 05:45 AM
I once had a Sun 1011 analyzer but it had issues and finding service info on them is next to impossible.

1project2many
11-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Good find. That should be fun.

Haha... Mark and I learned on tools from the same vintage! I still use my old Heathkit auto scope for tune-up work. It's portable and dependable and the vacuum tubes scare the young'uns.

At one time I had a GM CAMS machine here from a dealership. It was one of the high power originals... 286 processor, 512k RAM, 20 Mb hard drive, touch screen. It took about 10 minutes to fire up and the cart must have weighed 400 lbs. I played around a bit... changed the printer card, installed a larger hard drive, "upgraded" to MSDOS 6.0, but that machine just wasn't designed to be upgraded and even a small change required hours of re-working it to get it operational again. It would do anything and everything electrical with a GM vehicle but it just took soooo long to fire up. I gave up on it when I was able to pull and clear codes with a Slow-TC montor 2000 before the CAMS finished booting. Funny though, when those came out they didn't seem all that slow.
There's a drawing of one on page 13: http://tomboynton.com/GMnetworks.pdf
(also not a bad reference to have around if you're playing with communications between modules).

damanx
11-03-2013, 07:50 PM
When I bought my truck, I knew I'd probably need some older equipment since it was carbed. I've got several different timing analyzers. One is an Alltest, and the two others are Kal-Equip's, one is digital and the other analog. I like the analog obviously due to it's response being faster, but you can only view timing or rpm at a time and you can't see it in the dark obviously.

I had been looking for one of those heathkit ignition scopes, but kind of gave up and figured out that I could use a capacitive clamp and my regular o-scope to look at firing lines, but you could only look at one at a time.

Funny thing is that I was not going buy this unit from the fellow selling it. He had a larger cabinet that was part of a brake analyses station that he wanted sold as a package. He offered the whole get up for 75 bucks, but I did not want that part. I looked it over and it could not even have been made into anything useful.

Obviously, he agreed to sell me just the mt1665.

Here is a video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gdBSUo06iM

34blazer
11-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Cool old stuff!

This is how I learned to do proper tune ups...

Funny you brought this up.

Found this old gem at the LV Fiero club today....

damanx
11-04-2013, 09:40 AM
If you need parts for that 1115, I might have some from that 1015 I had.

EagleMark
11-08-2013, 10:01 AM
This thread got me to thinking about how I taught my son recently how to do drum brakes.

Anyone remember when you cut the shoes to match diameter of the drum?

1project2many
11-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Yep. "countour matching shoes" could get you extra time in the flat rate book, too.

That's still done on heavy trucks. There's a local parts store with a guy that has tooling to match shoes to drums, and to replace the linings. I actually have a set of OE GM linings for my '57 that I want to have him install. Prolly need to show up in a white suit with breathing apparatus in order to handle them, though.