PDA

View Full Version : Ecotec VVT Tuning

Caleditor
09-10-2013, 08:00 PM
John has released a VDF for the HHR with an Ecotec. I have a Cobalt with the same OS, but John likes to sell 2 identical VDF's. Yes he sells a Car VDF and a Truck VDF that are for the same OS. John gave me a Beta Car VDF. I opened my calibration and started to look at it. I think I need to build a few new spread sheets.

I will need to monitor Torque, Airflow, spark, TPS, Cam Timing, and MAP.

VVT is the modern EGR valve. This is not a performance option. It is a performance killer.

I will need to look at Torque vs Cam Timing vs MAP. Also to increase MPG I can play with cam timing and reduce the amount of airflow into the engine.

Airflow is what you really need to look at. Less air = less fuel, but less power = more fuel. The more cam overlap = more fuel. The cam overlap can be figured by the required Torque needed.

Has anyone tuned Ecotec VVT engines?

Boy I have a lots of spread sheets to make

Fast355
09-10-2013, 09:47 PM
John has released a VDF for the HHR with an Ecotec. I have a Cobalt with the same OS, but John likes to sell 2 identical VDF's. Yes he sells a Car VDF and a Truck VDF that are for the same OS. John gave me a Beta Car VDF. I opened my calibration and started to look at it. I think I need to build a few new spread sheets.

I will need to monitor Torque, Airflow, spark, TPS, Cam Timing, and MAP.

VVT is the modern EGR valve. This is not a performance option. It is a performance killer.

I will need to look at Torque vs Cam Timing vs MAP. Also to increase MPG I can play with cam timing and reduce the amount of airflow into the engine.

Airflow is what you really need to look at. Less air = less fuel, but less power = more fuel. The more cam overlap = more fuel. The cam overlap can be figured by the required Torque needed.

Has anyone tuned Ecotec VVT engines?

Boy I have a lots of spread sheets to make

I have not played with an Ecotec but have played with the CVTCS aka VVT intake cam timing on my Nissan Titan and my brothers Frontier.

My factory setup had lots of cam retard at idle giving it a very wide LSA as the load and rpm increases off idle so does the cam advance. At wide open throttle it retards again.

Nissans are adjustable based off the Fuel Base Pulse that is calculated off the MAF and RPM. I was able to find a noticeable increase in MPG and torque by altering the tables. Basically I brought in the advance sooner off idle to limit the EGR action and then made a "sweet"spot at cruising speed and load, that quickly recovered under increasing load to bring the torque in quickly.

Caleditor
09-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah I have a little info