PDA

View Full Version : test bench

ericjon262
08-19-2013, 12:18 AM
does anyone have instructions on how to make a PCM test bench? I'm not meaning a benchtop flasher, but somthing that allows you to test the inputs and outputs after changing code parameters?

Thanks-

Eric

Six_Shooter
08-19-2013, 12:22 AM
You can do it the same way that many of us OBD1 tuners have.

Search for Test Bench on this site's forum and you will find a thread on it. I use a JimStim in my set-up, and can be used for OBDII PCMs with some different set-up.

RobertISaar
08-19-2013, 04:36 AM
i still need to post pics and specs of my rig..... but i also need to rebuild it. something inside is tripping my ATX power supply's auto-shutdown due to excessive current at random. there shouldn't be anything "bare" in there, let alone without circuit protection against something like that.

ericjon262
08-19-2013, 07:17 AM
the jim stim seems like it should work, but I need to figure out how hard it would be to reprogram for another wheel. I also didn't see cam position sensor support (mind you, I only skimmed it over). Robertsaar, I'd love to see how your bench works. I'm always open to more ideas.

Six_Shooter
08-19-2013, 07:34 AM
the jim stim seems like it should work, but I need to figure out how hard it would be to reprogram for another wheel. I also didn't see cam position sensor support (mind you, I only skimmed it over). Robertsaar, I'd love to see how your bench works. I'm always open to more ideas.

It's pre-programmed for a bunch of different trigger wheels, up to 80 now IIRC.

There is a secondary trigger that I believe is used to simulate the cam signal.

RobertISaar
08-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Robertsaar, I'd love to see how your bench works. I'm always open to more ideas.

mine is built relatively simple compared to some of the jimstim functions, especially the trigger wheel emulation.

ericjon262
08-21-2013, 04:43 AM
I'm starting to think about getting a jimstim more, they're pretty cheap and should be able to do what I need it to do.

EagleMark
08-21-2013, 05:39 AM
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?9-ECM-Test-Bench

ericjon262
08-25-2013, 11:11 PM

Search for Test Bench on this site's forum and you will find a thread on it. I use a JimStim in my set-up, and can be used for OBDII PCMs with some different set-up.

do you have any setup instructions for obd2?

EagleMark
08-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Never seen instructions other then what is available from JimStim? Just kind of build it one circut at a time to work? There is also a Trans stim that I always wanted to add...

ericjon262
08-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Never seen instructions other then what is available from JimStim? Just kind of build it one circut at a time to work? There is also a Trans stim that I always wanted to add...

my last comment was in reference to the bold text above.

Six_Shooter
08-26-2013, 02:47 AM
You would have to match the RPM/ crank trigger wheel type.

ericjon262
08-26-2013, 04:25 AM
You would have to match the RPM/ crank trigger wheel type.

oh, so you're just refering to the basic setup has to match the wheel being used? that would make sense.

ericjon262
01-25-2014, 04:22 AM
well, bump from the stone age! I bought a jimstim and put it together, it was easier then I expected, now I just need to set this bugger up, and get a PCM to play with, and start seeing whats going on....

ericjon262
02-02-2014, 03:13 AM
I was thinking about this over the past few days, and I realized that the jimstim won't quite meet my needs, as it only allows for 2 signals to be generated, and my application uses three signals, 2 crank, and one cam. any ideas for a fix? I thought about trying to piggyback 2 jimstims together, but then there isn't a way to synchronize them.

any ideas?

RobertISaar
02-02-2014, 03:38 AM
depends on when you need a signal to happen....

you could do something as simple as a decade counter, when a signal happens 6 times, on the 6th signal, one new signal happens, like a cam sensor on a V6....

something like that? depending on how tightly the OS was written, it might not set off any DTCs due to a cam signal happening at the correct rate, but at the wrong "phase" in engine rotation.

ericjon262
02-02-2014, 04:06 AM
depends on when you need a signal to happen....

you could do something as simple as a decade counter, when a signal happens 6 times, on the 6th signal, one new signal happens, like a cam sensor on a V6....

something like that? depending on how tightly the OS was written, it might not set off any DTCs due to a cam signal happening at the correct rate, but at the wrong "phase" in engine rotation.

That might work, I might just have to do a "CASE" learn on the test bench. which shouldn't be too big of a deal.