PDA

View Full Version : Beware of RockAuto

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 12:06 AM
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/chase238/DSCN4365_zps21cac6a2.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/chase238/media/DSCN4365_zps21cac6a2.jpg.html)

A word of warning about RockAuto.com

I have bought several things from RockAuto before and had no issues. But when you encounter an issue, is when you really learn about the customer service of a company.

Long story short, I bought a BRAND NEW AC compressor and drier from RockAuto. The system was flushed, a new orifice tube was installed, the new compressor and drier were installed and the system was charged with the proper oil level and refrigerant. All of this work was done professionally by a reputable shop.

The compressor started malfunctioning within just days of installing it. The clutch slipped profusely, to the point where it was billowing smoke out the front of the compressor/pulley area. It got so hot, that it melted the plug where the wires come into feed electricity to the electromagnetic coil that activates the clutch on the compressor. Finally, the compressor got so hot it broke my belt.

After going round and round with RockAuto, it became quite clear that they were not going to honor their faulty part. The compressor that they sold me failed, and thus necessitated that a new compressor would have to be installed (again) and the system would have to be evacuated and recharged (again). I felt like they should help cover at least some of these costs since it's not cheap, and most importantly, it was their faulty part that caused me all this expense, hassle and aggravation.

RockAuto only gave me two choices, send it back for another compressor, or refund it. I didn't want to swap it for another one because who is to say it would be any better than this piece of junk? I told RockAuto to refund me and that I was through with them.

So beware…. IF you buy anything from RockAuto and by chance happen to have an issue such as this, be prepared to be disappointed, jerked around, and just drug over the coals so to say.

Being the ever curious type, I dismantled the clutch assembly to see exactly, what the hell went wrong with this new compressor????

I will tell you that the bearing in the clutch/hub experienced a complete and catastrophic failure because it was probably not put together right. Also, the snap ring that holds it down was only HALF WAY ON…… Not sure which one went first but it's clear that it was no fault of my own, or of the shop that installed the compressor for me. The pictures speak for themselves

Don't risk getting screwed by RockAuto, buy your parts somewhere else…….

Where are those missing ball bearings?!?!?!?
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/chase238/DSCN4365_zps21cac6a2.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/chase238/media/DSCN4365_zps21cac6a2.jpg.html)

Look at how "cooked" the clutch coil became as a result of the bearing failure
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/chase238/DSCN4368_zpse7dd6d03.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/chase238/media/DSCN4368_zpse7dd6d03.jpg.html)

Same as above
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/chase238/DSCN4367_zpscd9f5f5e.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/chase238/media/DSCN4367_zpscd9f5f5e.jpg.html)

Carnage:
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/chase238/DSCN4364_zpsf1e41c04.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/chase238/media/DSCN4364_zpsf1e41c04.jpg.html)

EagleMark
08-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Rock Auto wants to keep it's good reputation and does not like to see internet postings like this.

You also have to understand they sell parts to anyone and who knows how they will be installed so yes getting refunds is hard.

But I had a similar experience and had pictures and thread like this. As so as I showed it to Rock Auto it was elevated to supervisor who made everything right with me and I reported it in the thread.

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Yeah. I'm just really frustrated about the whole deal. I've already taken flak on some other forums I've shared it on, but I'm just calling it how I see it.

That's ironic that you mention that, I asked the people I spoke to on the phone several times if I could speak to their supervisor and they all told me that there was no one higher than them..... Hmmmm Everybody in the company is running it, even the people answering the phones; they're all the boss!

xtreamvette69
08-13-2013, 03:06 AM
this is why i buy local whenever i can, lifetime warrenties or any warrenties are not bargains when not honored and even when they are the shipping kills the good deals quickly. also keeps money in the local economy. jmho

also you gotta watch wording like rebuilt, reconditioned, remanufactored now days, as alot of times those words just only mean they opened it up, cleaned it up and just replaced what was bad or a few seals etc...just like so many people refering others to and i quote "get some new injectors from ***" or "get some rebuilt injectors from ***". i dont know why people dont call it like it is... cleaned, there just cleaned with a new lil filter and couple seals..

ok "end rant" lol

Six_Shooter
08-13-2013, 04:53 AM
So how exactly did you get screwed? They offered to exchange the item or refund the price. Sounds pretty normal operating procedure to me for anywhere that one deals with.

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 05:00 AM
I agree with you on that one, there is a lot of misuse of terms such as that...

----------------------

Look I don't have all the answers, I'm just calling it how I see it. You can either agree or disagree with me I really don't care.

Six_Shooter
08-13-2013, 05:02 AM
I'm just waiting for an explanation on how you "got screwed" in this situation.

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Well I already explained myself. I'll try to sum it up again. Their part failed. They wanted to replace it. Fine, but what about the additional costs as a result of their part's failure?

The way they (RockAuto), a bunch of computer chair mechanics on other forums, and perhaps you view this is that I'm supposed to eat the total loss of having to evacuate, refill etc the system, B/C THEIR PART FAILED.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that, IMO that is not acceptable.

Six_Shooter
08-13-2013, 05:09 AM
Well I already explained myself. I'll try to sum it up again. Their part failed. They wanted to replace it. Fine, but what about the additional costs as a result of their part's failure?

The way they (RockAuto), a bunch of computer chair mechanics on other forums, and perhaps you view this is that I'm supposed to eat the total loss of having to evacuate, refill etc the system, B/C THEIR PART FAILED.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that, IMO that is not acceptable.

Ahh, now we are getting somewhere.

What you have is called an "Entitlement complex". Where just because something happened, that someone ELSE should have to pay for it. Sorry, but life doesn't work that way. The way I read this, they did exactly their part. They have not screwed you at all.

Yes, it sucks to have to pay for anything, I agree, but that's how life works.

If they didn't offer to exchange the failed item or refund, then they would have screwed you.

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Excuse me? What I have is called "I bust my ass for my money". Or how about "I don't like to pay TWICE for things"

You can read it exactly however you choose, that's not my concern.

And paying for something doesn't "suck". Paying TWICE for something is what sucks. Paying for something is good, just like working for something because it gives you an appreciation for things.

You just don't know me bud :thumbsup:

bentrod
08-13-2013, 05:26 AM
It happens man. I'm not sure what else they can do though because they are just a frontend/reseller for tons of warehouses. If they were to refund you everything and time and labor + other things, they would be out of biz for sure. Then you would have just got pretty much the same garbage compressor from pepboys or whereever.

The only way you can keep from getting crap compressors from is learning to how to rebuild it yourself and know it inside and out.

I'd go over what it takes to rebuild an A/C compressor, but I'm more a windows down kinda guy...so I have no idea LOL

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 05:32 AM
Yes sir, such is life. Some people apparently think that when life gives you lemons you just deal with it. I will squeeze those lemons into water pistols and shoot somebody in the eye, I don't care :rofl:

Yes if they had to do this for every part they sold they would certainly be out of business. But I can't see that this happens more than rarely, just a fluke. Which is why I wanted them to help a little more than they were offering to.

You're absolutely right; learning to rebuild compressors is the next step, I've been searching the net and found a pretty good writeup that somebody did on the topic of overhauling these R4 compressors.

I still have the original Delphi compressor from 1990, I may try to rebuild it and keep it on the shelf as a spare unit.

Dude, I have been windows down for a long time, and I still am; whenever the weather is not too bad. It's been hot this sumer, but last summer was BRUTAL. And the humidity in OK makes it feel 10 degrees hotter than it actually is b/c your sweat just sticks to your skin as opposed to evaporating and actually cooling you off!

Six_Shooter
08-13-2013, 05:34 AM
Excuse me? What I have is called "I bust my ass for my money". Or how about "I don't like to pay TWICE for things"

You can read it exactly however you choose, that's not my concern.

And paying for something doesn't "suck". Paying TWICE for something is what sucks. Paying for something is good, just like working for something because it gives you an appreciation for things.

You just don't know me bud :thumbsup:

You think I don't bust my ass for my money? You think I don't occasionally get a bad product? You think I like paying for stuff twice?

What you got is exactly what you deserved, you are not entitled to anything more than the exchange of the item OR refund. Asking for anything more is just being like these snotty nosed kids that are being raised today that feel that OTHER people should pay for their things or when something gets messed up along the way.

I may not know you, but I know your type.

You did not get screwed by Rock Auto, not even in the slightest.

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 05:43 AM
I really don't care what you do, nor anything about you, not even in the slightest. You made a very erroneous assumption about me. But you don't know anything about me so your ignorance shows.

I've had bad products more than once, there is USUALLY a cheap, effective workaround, BUT not so in this case. Which, is why it is the exception IMO.

I didn't get what I deserved because I deserved customer service that bends over backwards to make customers happy. This is the way I was raised, and the way I conduct my own business. My family has been in business where I live for nearly 100 years and that is part of our culture, our belief system, however rare it may be these days. Without a happy customer, there can be no business.

I believe in a fair business transaction. IMO this was not one. I'm not looking for a handout or anything remotely resembling it so you can stop making your recalcitrant insinuations whenever you feel like ok bud :wtg:

xtreamvette69
08-13-2013, 05:43 AM
So how exactly did you get screwed? They offered to exchange the item or refund the price. Sounds pretty normal operating procedure to me for anywhere that one deals with.
oh , i guess i didnt pay attention to the part about them willing to replace.. i cant say i have ever gotten back or asked for labor on defective parts so idk what would happen local. i have heard some people have gotten reimbersed for labor though from local suppliers.

i guess though if i wanted labor and parts warented i would have the shop doing the work get the parts, thats why they mark up the parts to cover there azz's in situations like this. but ya thats the only way i would expect the part + labor to be free if an installed part was defective.

just a note .. i have even heard of walmart refunding part + labor for speakers someone bought / had installed and were junk out of the box, they just bitched and made a public scene about it till the manager refunded the speakers and the guys shop bill(installed at independant shop , not walmarts auto center)

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 05:50 AM
I've made my post. I've stated how I feel and what I think. Not many seem to agree with me or even be on the same planet. It's a done deal. I already bought another compressor, locally this time, and I'm working on fixing it here in the shop.

I'm surprised that walmart did that much. I hate walmart because as conveneint as they are, they're one of the biggest killers of small town America and the small town economy. I'm sure I'll take flak for this one too. Bring it.

Six_Shooter
08-13-2013, 05:51 AM
oh , i guess i didnt pay attention to the part about them willing to replace.. i cant say i have ever gotten back or asked for labor on defective parts so idk what would happen local. i have heard some people have gotten reimbersed for labor though from local suppliers.

i guess though if i wanted labor and parts warented i would have the shop doing the work get the parts, thats why they mark up the parts to cover there azz's in situations like this. but ya thats the only way i would expect the part + labor to be free if an installed part was defective.

just a note .. i have even heard of walmart refunding part + labor for speakers someone bought / had installed and were junk out of the box, they just bitched and made a public scene about it till the manager refunded the speakers and the guys shop bill(installed at independant shop , not walmarts auto center)

I agree. Many times if the entire job including parts is supplied by the shop doing it, they will cover part or all of the labour if something is defective within a reasonable amount of time.

I do my own labour, since I like to and I can not afford to have someone else do it for me. I can inspect the parts going on when I do it too. I can usually catch a defective part before it's installed, but not always.

Six_Shooter
08-13-2013, 05:54 AM
I'm surprised that walmart did that much. I hate walmart because as conveneint as they are, they're one of the biggest killers of small town America and the small town economy. I'm sure I'll take flak for this one too. Bring it.

This is something I agree with. I refuse to shop there. Especially after they fucked my (now ex) girlfriend wheels on a tire change and refused to do anything about it.

The way they conduct business is not very ethical at all. Luckily here in Canada, they don't seem to have the same power they do in the states.

bentrod
08-13-2013, 06:09 AM
I agree with the boycott of walmart too. From what I have heard I believe they are unethical for; how they treat their employees, their methods to evade taxes, and how they further the throwaway society that we have become accustomed too. I haven't shopped there in years and try to convince as many people as I can to do the same.

EagleMark
08-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Although I do understand how you feel about RockAuto part causing more damage...

That is a problem doing your own repair. You buy a part, it fails, you have to do the labor again! If you had it done at a shop and they supplied the part? Then they would replace the part and charge no labor. But this is also why you pay so much more at a shop! Also why shops do not use CRAP parts!

I'd never use a rebuilt AC compressor, never, no way. Just because of what happened to you...

Six_Shooter
08-13-2013, 07:16 AM
I thought he used a new compressor? or did I miss a mention of it being rebuilt?

EagleMark
08-13-2013, 07:27 AM
My bad, he did say new... but in todays parts who knows what quality? Made in china?

So I'm leaning more towards his side. Brand new part screws up whole system? Yeah I'd be pissed and all over RockAuto ass for the damage it did! They want to sell cheap crap? Then they should feel the wrath of the consumer.

Did I ever mention none of the new compressors I have bought from ACKits.com have ever failed? You know why? it's all they do and they want to keep there good reputation!

Six_Shooter
08-13-2013, 07:33 AM
An old saying applies here:

"A new part is not a known good part."

CDeeZ
08-13-2013, 08:17 AM
My bad, he did say new... but in todays parts who knows what quality? Made in china? Brand new part screws up whole system? Yeah I'd be pissed and all over RockAuto ass for the damage it did! They want to sell cheap crap? Then they should feel the wrath of the consumer.

Exactly.

The way I see it is that in most cases one would never have to worry about this. BUT this is not a typical case IMO, this is an A-typical case which adds a whole 'nother side to the transaction.

For example. If it was a set of headlights, a water pump, a window motor, or shocks or whatever, then it would be much easier to swap them out because… you're not completely and totally reliant on some kind of outside source to make it work, like with A/C.

But when you're working with A/C you have to have special stuff to reclaim the refrigerant. You have to have special equipment to vacuum the system out. You have to have gauges to put it back in etc. This is why it's much different than 99.9% of cases in my opinion.

If it WAS a headlight or a window switch or something then a replacement would have been perfectly acceptable. I have returned MORE than my share of parts that were bad right out of the box than most people probably ever will. I NEVER cop an attitude with the counter guy (or somebody on the phone). But I still say, when the part is some kind of anomaly in the procedures/service required, as in this case, just replacement/refund doesn't make it right.

I got my A/C working really good last summer with a friends set of gauges and it worked for a few months, but then the original compressor from 1990 finally bit the dust after 20+ yrs of service. I let it slide since it was getting into the cooler months.

I don't half ass things, and if I don't know something/never done it before, I do whatever it takes to learn and become competent.

In Canada you don't know what it's like to REALLY want A/C and just how cranky it can make you when it can be 100*F and ABOVE with a LOT of humidity for DAYS and DAYS. :thumbsup:

EagleMark
08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
I've run AC every day for at least a month or so now and I'm 60 miles from Canadia ay? :thumbsup:

Plus it was 100-105 between here and Portland Or when I went and when I came home. Yes the entire AC system on my 98 Chevy was new last year.

Did I ever mention none of the new compressors I have bought from ACKits.com have ever failed? You know why? it's all they do and they want to keep there good reputation!

EagleMark
08-13-2013, 09:30 PM
OK I deleted some posts, I don't like how this is turning to atacks, everyone has an opinion so state it and keep away from attacks on one another...lets keep it to subject...

What you have is called an "Entitlement complex". Where just because something happened, that someone ELSE should have to pay for it. Sorry, but life doesn't work that way. The way I read this, they did exactly their part. They have not screwed you at all.

Yes, it sucks to have to pay for anything, I agree, but that's how life works.

If they didn't offer to exchange the failed item or refund, then they would have screwed you.Although I agree, that is how it works.

But an attorney would see this differently. There's just not enough money for an attorney to get involved with law for this stuff. It would be called liability, just as new car manufacturers or any defective part that is made for anything? If it fails to work properly and causes damage then the maker is liable! Laws like this prevent a lot of business from making things, then when they are made the manufacturer has to figure out how many will be sold? Even if their product is sound. They add all the liability costs to cover lawsuits and attorney fees. Do you realize 1/3 the cost of a new car is because of this?

EagleMark
08-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Back to WalMart... that is a double edge sword. Many people say it kills small town America, but so does many other things as time changes. Interstate highways have killed more small towns then anything?

Competition is always good for the consumer as it brings prices down and competition. If other business can't keep up? Well that's how business works. The consumer decides where to spend there money. If it was not a good deal? Then why are so many people always shopping there? Just as Rock Auto get's so much business because of lower prices then local auto parts stores... the person spending the money decides where, this is the fate of how the business will survive ot not.

As for the employees, they don't have to work there, no one is forcing them. They are free to work where ever they want and the employer is free to choose who ever they want... well almost free as they are bound by countless regulations. There are many people that work for Walmart that have no skills or training, they are lucky to have a job at all! It's better then welfare and food stamps, which is good for economy.

Walmart plays by rules and regulations made by government and they are very good at it. The sales tax and state revenue from Wlmarts around here is a great boost for local government. It has brought down prices for the consumer everywhere.

1project2many
08-14-2013, 12:44 AM
When you have a problem with parts from local store they will offer to replace part or refund money, same as big company. If there is additional damage you can submit a labor claim or supplemental claim. These claims are then submitted to the manufacturer who may or may not pay out. If the local store pays right away they are taking it out of pocket, generally because Mom and Pop know you and give you Good Guy treatment. They may or may not be reimbursed by manufacturer.

Large resellers such as Advance Auto, Wally World, and Rockauto are selling for less partly because they limit their own payouts to "Replace or refund only." Check the fine print. Wal-Mart sometimes goes so far as to have the manufacturer include instructions not to contact the store for warranty issues, but to call the mfgr directly.

Like other retailers of branded products, RockAuto does not offer any product warranty of our own--we honor the warranty provided by the manufacturer of the product. If you have a problem with a part during the warranty period, please contact us and we will arrange a return and replacement of the same part.
The summary below does not include all the terms and limitations of each manufacturer's warranty, and manufacturers may change their warranty terms without notice (to you or to us). For warranty details, please visit the manufacturer's website.
Warranties apply only to the original purchaser of the part and the vehicle on which the part was originally installed.
Terms listed apply only for parts used on a private passenger vehicle; warranties for cargo, commercial or off-road vehicles may be more limited.
Warranties offer only replacement of the defective part with another part: no cash refunds and no reimbursement of labor costs, shipping costs or other expenses.
Replacement under warranty does not extend the warranty term. Warranties begin upon delivery.
Wholesaler Closeout items have a 30 day warranty (but still are covered by our Return Policy (http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/policy.html#Returns)).

http://www.rockauto.com/docs/warranty.php

I don't half ass things, and if I don't know something/never done it before, I do whatever it takes to learn and become competent.
Here are some thoughts:
1) If you had let the reputable shop purchase and install the compressor, the cost of repairing this issue would fall on them, not you.
2) If you had bought your compressor and dryer from the local Mom and Pop store there's a better chance they would have covered this incidental damage.
3) You're smart enough to realize, and probably had been warned that, bringing in outside parts to the shop was a gamble which may have left you open to exactly the problem you are having now.
4) If you don't bring your own bacon and eggs into a restaurant and ask to have them cooked, why is it different to bring your own parts into the garage?

This is not a new game. Information required to make a decision about buying from this company is not hidden. You failed to understand, comprehend, or believe all the rules. You gambled and lost. Time to pay up.

Six_Shooter
08-14-2013, 01:35 AM
OK I deleted some posts, I don't like how this is turning to atacks, everyone has an opinion so state it and keep away from attacks on one another...lets keep it to subject...

Although I agree, that is how it works.

But an attorney would see this differently. There's just not enough money for an attorney to get involved with law for this stuff. It would be called liability, just as new car manufacturers or any defective part that is made for anything? If it fails to work properly and causes damage then the maker is liable! Laws like this prevent a lot of business from making things, then when they are made the manufacturer has to figure out how many will be sold? Even if their product is sound. They add all the liability costs to cover lawsuits and attorney fees. Do you realize 1/3 the cost of a new car is because of this?

I really don't think any lawyer would.

The failing compressor has not, as far as I have read, damaged any other part directly or indirectly. The additional services needed in order to replace the component is not part of warranty coverage.

Six_Shooter
08-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Back to WalMart... that is a double edge sword. Many people say it kills small town America, but so does many other things as time changes. Interstate highways have killed more small towns then anything?

Competition is always good for the consumer as it brings prices down and competition. If other business can't keep up? Well that's how business works. The consumer decides where to spend there money. If it was not a good deal? Then why are so many people always shopping there? Just as Rock Auto get's so much business because of lower prices then local auto parts stores... the person spending the money decides where, this is the fate of how the business will survive ot not.

As for the employees, they don't have to work there, no one is forcing them. They are free to work where ever they want and the employer is free to choose who ever they want... well almost free as they are bound by countless regulations. There are many people that work for Walmart that have no skills or training, they are lucky to have a job at all! It's better then welfare and food stamps, which is good for economy.

Walmart plays by rules and regulations made by government and they are very good at it. The sales tax and state revenue from Wlmarts around here is a great boost for local government. It has brought down prices for the consumer everywhere.

Competition is good, undercutting is not. It's impossible for an independent retailer to be competitive with big box stores, when the bog box stores sell the same product to the consumer for less than the independent can purchase that same item for. Don't fooled for an instant that Walmart and most big box stores are "playing fairly" or are providing "healthy competition".

Walmart doesn't go to a manufacturer and ask "How much will this item cost us?"

They go to that manufacturer and say "This is how much we will buy this item for and no more." They usually also add: "We want exclusive distribution rights on this too."

For items they are not granted exclusivity on, they will sometimes get their own model numbers, but sell the same product as independents who pay more. This practice has been going on for years with the Car Audio industry. Pioneer Electronics is a co-hort to this. They will provide an "exclusive model" to a big box store, that has all the same features as the ones the independents get, but for less money and usually one digit difference in the model number.

I agree that employment is good, but don't kid yourself. One Walmart employs less people than if there were independent shops selling all the same product, even if it was only one store selling each of the different departments. They do this by having as few staff on hand as possible.

It's a downward spiral. A big box retailer moves in, closes down most of the independents, though a few usually survive, thanks to people who refuse to shop at Walmart, killing a bunch of jobs, driving up unemployment, without even attempting to reduce the unemployment stats. So now there is less money in that community to spend, so more people need to buy things cheap, where to get them cheap? Walmart, the same place that caused them to lose their job in the first place. So now the poor get poorer and Walmart feeds on this to keep the economy down.

What needs to happen is that bog box stores need to do business the same way the independents do, buying at the same rate, selling at the same rate, or close to, and then you'll see how real competition works.

EagleMark
08-14-2013, 03:09 AM
I really don't think any lawyer would.
.Of course they would not unless they were paid for their time. Their time would outway any return. The point was it's not a total Entitlement to want to be reimburesed for cost incurred with faulty part, the faulty part was lible for incurred costs.

Competition is good, undercutting is not. It's impossible for an independent retailer to be competitive with big box stores, when the bog box stores sell the same product to the consumer for less than the independent can purchase that same item for. Don't fooled for an instant that Walmart and most big box stores are "playing fairly" or are providing "healthy competition".

Walmart doesn't go to a manufacturer and ask "How much will this item cost us?"

They go to that manufacturer and say "This is how much we will buy this item for and no more." They usually also add: "We want exclusive distribution rights on this too."

For items they are not granted exclusivity on, they will sometimes get their own model numbers, but sell the same product as independents who pay more. This practice has been going on for years with the Car Audio industry. Pioneer Electronics is a co-hort to this. They will provide an "exclusive model" to a big box store, that has all the same features as the ones the independents get, but for less money and usually one digit difference in the model number.

I agree that employment is good, but don't kid yourself. One Walmart employs less people than if there were independent shops selling all the same product, even if it was only one store selling each of the different departments. They do this by having as few staff on hand as possible.

It's a downward spiral. A big box retailer moves in, closes down most of the independents, though a few usually survive, thanks to people who refuse to shop at Walmart, killing a bunch of jobs, driving up unemployment, without even attempting to reduce the unemployment stats. So now there is less money in that community to spend, so more people need to buy things cheap, where to get them cheap? Walmart, the same place that caused them to lose their job in the first place. So now the poor get poorer and Walmart feeds on this to keep the economy down.

What needs to happen is that bog box stores need to do business the same way the independents do, buying at the same rate, selling at the same rate, or close to, and then you'll see how real competition works.Right. But Walmart business model was never to keep up. From the beginning it was to grow and conquer, they do things there way which is what other small business would like to catch up to.

I don't understand why so many people are against Walmart for growing big and making money? It's the American dream! People from all over the world used to fight just to get here and have an opportunity to work hard and thrive. Maybe the one sided media only reported what it wants? Corporations are bad, bad , bad!!! Greedy, greedy!!! Look at all the money they make? SO? They did it and they deserve it! Don't like how much they make? Well go out and do better! You don't think walmart got that way from sitting on their ass bitching? They worked hard for many many years to get to this point!

I've seen the stories of 13 year old kids in other countries sweat shops making garments for Walmart. Cruel and unusual punishment by our standards! But the dollar a day they make means their entire family EATS dinner every night of the week, they are heroes! They thrive to work harder and someday get to live in America where everyone eats... it's even gotten to the point where you don't have to work to eat here!

Six_Shooter
08-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Mark you are missing the point. The failed part, regardless of whether there are any other costs needed in order to replace does NOT fall on the retailer of the failed part. Those costs are the responsibility of the owner/installer. Simple as that.

You're also not seeing how Walmart's Business ethics are bad for the economy. My feelings towards them are not media based, but what I see in my own area. They are NOT good for "healthy competition", they only want to have a monopoly, which means no competition and prices can be what ever that company wants. I don't care how much money they make, what I care about is how they DESTROY the local economy in order to make their money.

kunsan1987
08-14-2013, 11:16 AM
howdy all, I work for a national parts chain and on any part with a warranty,the warranty is limited to the part itself. the only recourse to the customer (commercial or retail) would be to file a labor claim with the part manufacturer. it takes 6 to 12 weeks to get a response and is entirely up to them if they will pay a claim or not.
in my expierence about 20% of claims are approved and even then most only pay a portion of the costs.

Hog
08-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I understand why people are against Walmart. They come into a town, undercut all local shops prices, buy from manufactureres, do lots of business with them which causes the company to expand. Then Walmart continually squeezes them, until they go bankrupt. Then buy the company for cents on the dollar and make even more money.

Yes they are simply in pursuit of the AMerican dream by buying products at a low price and selling at a higher price thus maximizing their profits. But they do so while paying minimum wage to its workers. I dont care what kind of company you are, if you are making record profits and still refuse to share profits with you the very people that are responsible for your company making such profits, something is wrong. Maybe it is the North American way more than people care to admit.

I also am staunchly against using off shore labour. Sure they provide for their family, but they do so in crazy poor work environments, while polluting the heck out of the envirnoment. Expoiting the devolping just so the company I buy something from can stuff their executives pockets. That is SO wrong, but people dont care, this was well evidenced. By the crash of 2008. Maybe they shouldnt have made TARP handouts. AFter all its the American dream, sink or swim. It might have done some good to see some of these "profit-swollen/money-obese/bonus-engorged executives to have go a few rounds with reality.
If this American dream has to be reality for us, why isnt reality for the top 1%?

There are more and more companies now bringing work back to North AMerica, this is the way it should continue, I dont care if I pay more money, so long as it stays in North AMerica.
I once worked for a parts producer that supplied Toyota. EVery single pice of equipement came in big wooden crates with Japanese writing all over them. All parts and chemicals came from Japan. There was this special glue that would "sonically-weld" these 2 plastic clips to the top of a windshield. We used about 1 gallon of this special "glue" every month. If we ran low, the company would air mail the glue from Japan rather than buy it locally.

Another, in Canada we have some decent softwood resources. There is a Japanese company that makes chipboard/plywood products. Instead of basing the plant in Canada, they park a big assed production ship 200km in international waters off the coast of British Columbia and feed it chips and bring the finshed product down to the US. Just to save money. But can I be mad at that company doing this? Sure I can, but its not properly placed anger. If I were an exec and I would get a nice fat cheque for saving the company money, I would probably do the same thing.

Why do most nations take their large ships to India for ship breaking? Its because they have no environmental/safety controls that drive up the cost of the scrapping of the ships.

What people need to stop doing is having kids. Yes its a harsh statement, but if the worlds population would follow China's lead with their 1 child only laws, the world as a whole would have a better future outlook.
We have it so good as North Americans, its not even funny. Then there are some of these African countries with Mom and Dad that both have active HIV and they have 8 children, untreated the Mom and Dad only have a few years of life, and then someone else has to raise these kids(usually the eldest child).

This more, more, more, increase profit margins, Western nation mentality HAS to stop as some point. This world cant take it for much longer. I think that humans are humankinds worst enemy.

Money money money, the root of all evil
Rant off.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx
So far as the Rock Auto part. I have NEVER heard of a parts store paying for any additional work required by a warranty claim. Get you money back, or get another part.

"RockAuto only gave me two choices, send it back for another compressor, or refund it."
I didn't know there were OTHER options when you buy a part.

Tis the risk we take as do it youselfers. Want to mitigate that risk, pay more and have a shop do the work. They will give a break usually as they want repeat business and good word of mouth advertising.

peace
Hog

EagleMark
08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
It's the USA government who has regulated and taxed small business to death that has caused all these issues! Add state tax to that and you can see why Texas is getting an influx of companies from CA. Companies overseas have a huge advantage to manufacturing then their products come here and are not taxed? We simply can not compete!

Fairly easy problem to solve. Our government is not working on it though... just want more power, more control, more taxs. Worried more about next election then fixing our issues? Opportunity for small business has been regulated and taxed to death, small companies can't compete with Walmart and others. Don't blame Walmart! Go to the source and blame government.

Even if you could afford to open small business, the economy is shot so there's no income for your product. There's still the point that your product can be bought from overseas cheaper... the circle of failure continues...

USA used to be a world leader in manufacturing! Unions, safety, regulations and taxs have gone wild and killed it. Yes they are needed, but we went extreme and used no common sense and put ourselves right out of business..

If we, the USA taxed products imported to US the same as we tax our own? It would be a fair playing field...

woody80z28
08-14-2013, 11:55 PM
I had a sour deal with Rock Auto just recently, but it was a little different. I bought a brand new ACDelco brake master cylinder, thinking the OEM name would be good quality. It did not leak when I bench bled it, but it did leak out the piston into the booster once installed and the system was closed and creating pressure. The brake fluid leaked inside the booster and down the front, peeling paint on my engine bay in the process. It also killed the seals in the brake booster causing a vacuum leak.

Rock Auto did not even refund or replace the master cylinder, let alone the brake booster that it directly caused to fail. Their 30-day warranty was up by a week or two because the car sat in the garage for a bit while I was working on it and finishing up the rear disc swap. I told them the part was obviously defective from the start (the cylinder would not wear to the point of leaking with less than 100 miles on it) and was just not visible immediately due to leaking inside the booster. They didn't care, wouldn't replace it, and basically told me it was tough luck. I understand the 30 days was up, but given the circumstances I found that to be piss poor customer service.

1project2many
08-15-2013, 12:51 AM
I bought a brand new ACDelco brake master cylinder (http://rd.bizrate.com/rd?t=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.partsgeek.com%2Fjmmhk5s-ford-f100-pickup-brake-master-cylinder.html%3Futm_source%3Dshopzilla%26utm_mediu m%3Dpf%26utm_content%3Dmcs%26utm_campaign%3DPartsG eek%2BShopZilla%26fp%3Dpp%26utm_term%3D1956%2BFord %2BF100%2BPickup%2BBrake%2BMaster%2BCylinder%2B-%2BA1%2BCardone%2B13-14019&mid=192248&cat_id=22000200&atom=10681&prod_id=&oid=4334617689&pos=1&b_id=18&bid_type=0&bamt=a5fedf14fd8fec0d&cobrand=1&ppr=0c02afb425b9b726&rf=af1&af_assettype_id=10&af_creative_id=6&af_id=6784), thinking the OEM name would be good quality.

Buyer beware: AC Delco was sold by GM several years ago and they are now just a brand like any other.

Six_Shooter
08-15-2013, 03:16 AM
I had a sour deal with Rock Auto just recently, but it was a little different. I bought a brand new ACDelco brake master cylinder, thinking the OEM name would be good quality. It did not leak when I bench bled it, but it did leak out the piston into the booster once installed and the system was closed and creating pressure. The brake fluid leaked inside the booster and down the front, peeling paint on my engine bay in the process. It also killed the seals in the brake booster causing a vacuum leak.

Rock Auto did not even refund or replace the master cylinder, let alone the brake booster that it directly caused to fail. Their 30-day warranty was up by a week or two because the car sat in the garage for a bit while I was working on it and finishing up the rear disc swap. I told them the part was obviously defective from the start (the cylinder would not wear to the point of leaking with less than 100 miles on it) and was just not visible immediately due to leaking inside the booster. They didn't care, wouldn't replace it, and basically told me it was tough luck. I understand the 30 days was up, but given the circumstances I found that to be piss poor customer service.

The problem here is that they likely hear this same story time and time again, could be true each time, but not likely and because of that they need to follow policy. I wouldn't call that a "sour deal" it was just due to other reasons you did not catch it in the warranty period.

Six_Shooter
08-15-2013, 03:21 AM
It's the USA government who has regulated and taxed small business to death that has caused all these issues! Add state tax to that and you can see why Texas is getting an influx of companies from CA. Companies overseas have a huge advantage to manufacturing then their products come here and are not taxed? We simply can not compete!

Fairly easy problem to solve. Our government is not working on it though... just want more power, more control, more taxs. Worried more about next election then fixing our issues? Opportunity for small business has been regulated and taxed to death, small companies can't compete with Walmart and others. Don't blame Walmart! Go to the source and blame government.

Even if you could afford to open small business, the economy is shot so there's no income for your product. There's still the point that your product can be bought from overseas cheaper... the circle of failure continues...

USA used to be a world leader in manufacturing! Unions, safety, regulations and taxs have gone wild and killed it. Yes they are needed, but we went extreme and used no common sense and put ourselves right out of business..

If we, the USA taxed products imported to US the same as we tax our own? It would be a fair playing field...

Blame the government if you want, and I agree that they are partially to blame, but they have less influence on this than the corporations themselves.

Taxes are not to blame, though I do believe in many cases they are being grossly misused, reducing taxes alone will not solve this. The same tax breaks that big corporations get also need to be allowed for the independents, or even more tax breaks for the independents, would help promote more employment, and more spending. It would also force big box stores to be in the same realm as the independents where it comes to overhead.

ony
08-18-2013, 02:13 PM
I have been looking for a compressor on line, I noticed auto zone has lowered their warrenty down to 3 months that was on all their compressors.

bentrod
08-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Fair'er' but mostly I agree. It's amazing how the gross exploitation of labor markets just keeps going on seemingly free of government regulation, taxation or reasonable tarrifs. I dont know how people in the US expect to compete with labor from countries without a social security system, OSHA/EPA regulations, collective bargining, well followed labor laws or a sue happy culture.

I have been looking for a compressor on line, I noticed auto zone has lowered their warranty down to 3 months that was on all their compressors.

Some of the warranty periods are just ridiculous nowadays. I remember even as late as the 90s you could go into any store and pick up a starter, ps pump, alternator, radiator plus a lot more stuff with full lifetime warranties. Today it seems like you're lucky to get a 30day warranty.

I say fk them all, just fix these things yourself and don't deal with this crap. Especially with the AC compressor and master cylinder stories in this thread. Why even bother?