PDA

View Full Version : Need a new PC, options?

34blazer
08-04-2013, 06:16 AM
So my PC's mobo sh!t the bed yesterday, hard drive is still good though. Its an HP a6300f BTW. Thought about just replacing the mobo but most people ive asked are suggesting I go with a whole new desktop. Reviews for the mobos are very negative. Not looking to spend a fortune(low on $$$), just need something my wife can browse the internet with and complete her online college courses. I may be willing to build a desktop as well to get my feet wet.

So Im open to reasonable suggestions.

Thanks!

Six_Shooter
08-04-2013, 08:11 AM
I haven't bought a new MoBo in a long time, I usually buy what my one computer geek friend is upgrading from at the time. He seems to need to have the latest computer parts, all the time.
That being said, many of the Mobos in the "entry level" category will definitely allow for online browsing and educational courses. It's hard to find a MoBo that doesn't support multiple core CPUs, or way more RAM than most people need. Look for name brand MoBos, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte are all good brands, among others. I use mostly Asus in my builds. I've found some MoBos in the sub $80 range that are very powerful, and will support a lot of processors available, from 2 core up to 6 core. I know if I were to buy a new MoBo right now, I'd look at one that uses an LGA1155 socket, since there seems to be literally thousands of processor options for that socket, that can allow you to start with something on the low end side if you wish and upgrade later if you find you need a faster/larger CPU. I'm actually looking at a bunch that are less than $50 CDN right now, that would be great as a web and low power requirement programs box. With more expensive MoBos you do get more features, usually quicker bus speeds, better onboard video, or just have onboard video, some MoBos won't have it. You usually also get more USB port and other peripheral connectivity options as well, with more money spent on the MoBo. I personally like the ATX size boards, because they tend to have more expansion slots than Mini or Micro ATX, and spread the heat out a little more as well.

The CPU is what I would be concentrating on. I like at least 4 cores, and hyperthreading is a bonus. Hyperthreading allows each core to act like two cores., speeding up processing time, and allowing for quicker load times of programs and web pages, with the drawback being more heat created.

Ram is also important to consider, faster speed ram will load programs and such quicker, but will also create more heat, like the CPU. The amount of RAM will depend on what programs you plan to run AND your operating system. A 32 bit (Windoze) OS will support up to 4 GB, a 64 bit OS will support more. So if you're running a 32 bit OS, it doesn't make sense to buy 16 GB of RAM, when most of it will not be utilized.

Spend some money on the CPU cooler as well. The cooler the CPU runs the better it will run and the longer it will last. You don't need to get into liquid cooling, unless you think you're going to be running the machine hard. Many of the air coolers available now are very efficient. That being said I do have an Antec liquid cooling system on my main PC, because, well, I can, and I like the idea of liquid to get the heat out of the box, not just away from the CPU and into teh box, where it still needs to be exhausted from the box.

jim_in_dorris
08-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Depending on your budget, and how much you can reuse, you can get this done fairly inexpensively. AMD processors and MB's are slightly less expensive, and unless you are hardcore gaming, you won't notice any difference. Depending on if you can fit a standard MB in your case, a reasonable system might look something like this. AMD dual core A4-3400 llano series processor $45, ASROCK A55M-VS FM1 motherboard $48, and 4 gigbyte Crucial Balistic DDR3-1833 ram $45. Video is on the motherboard, and a heatsink is included with the processor. Of course if budget allows, the options are endless.

RobertISaar
08-04-2013, 11:51 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107511

taking a look at the other pics, i think you'll have a very hard time finding a replacement motherboard. i'm not sure if that's a standard formfactor for a motherboard? if it is simply a mATX board simply flipped 180* and mounted on the other side of the chassis, that would simplify things.

based on it using the E2180 processor, it's a socket 775 board, which a direct replacement for isn't going to be as plentiful as they once were. normally, i would check out geeks.com since they tend to stock new and refurbed older hardware, but as of august 2nd, they are shutting down.

34blazer
08-05-2013, 01:05 AM
From what Ive been told I need the socket 775 microATX board with dual processor capabilities. Heres a breakdown of my current PC...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01287561&prodSeriesId=3644673

Found some possible flea-bay replacements but they are slightly different, ie missing a few I/O ports in the back. I dont use those anyway so that shouldnt be a problem. Heres the likely replacement....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intel-DQ43AP-Socket-775-Micro-ATX-Motherboard-BLKDQ43AP-OEM-NO-ACCESSORIES-/350735072389?pt=Motherboards&hash=item51a9707c85

Looks good to me, but of I have almost no idea about this stuff.

jim_in_dorris
08-05-2013, 01:50 AM
The back panel is really different between the 2 mb's, and the fleabay mb doesn't come with the back panel (only a small annoyance). If you processor is okay, it looks like everything else would be usable from your old computer. I personally wouldn't buy an obsolete mb for a cpu that I didn't know if it worked or not.

34blazer
08-05-2013, 03:37 AM
The back panel is really different between the 2 mb's, and the fleabay mb doesn't come with the back panel (only a small annoyance). If you processor is okay, it looks like everything else would be usable from your old computer. I personally wouldn't buy an obsolete mb for a cpu that I didn't know if it worked or not.

Well AFAIK it's new and very similar to the mobo that's in there now. The socket is compatible with the processor and ram. The back pane l is no big deal, matter of fact, I can cannibalize my old 1330n's back panel because that's the same. If I could find an identical mono for a good price I would just buy that. But my searches only came up with the one in the auction posted above. Do you have a link for a mobo that would work a little better?

Six_Shooter
08-05-2013, 03:40 AM
When ever I have a "MoBo failure" I do not re-use either the MoBo or the CPU. The reason for the MoBo failure could be the CPU. Putting a bad CPU in a good MoBo could make it also useless. Even if it doesn't damage the new MoBo, and the CPU is the problem, you would then still need to source another CPU. If you can find one, you still be running on antiquated technology, that could have spent the same, or in many cases, less money for current technology.

34blazer
08-05-2013, 03:55 AM
When ever I have a "MoBo failure" I do not re-use either the MoBo or the CPU. The reason for the MoBo failure could be the CPU. Putting a bad CPU in a good MoBo could make it also useless. Even if it doesn't damage the new MoBo, and the CPU is the problem, you would then still need to source another CPU. If you can find one, you still be running on antiquated technology, that could have spent the same, or in many cases, less money for current technology.

Oh ok, I guess I'll be looking for another processor too lol. A whole new world to explore! Hopefully it's not too pricey. honestly I don't know what I'm looking at for specs. certain parts work with other parts and that's where I get lost. If it's going to cost more than 150 bucks I'll opt to just replace the hard drive on the 1330n so my wife has something to do her homework on. Once I sew on another stripe I'll be in a better position to research and assemble something newer.

34blazer
08-08-2013, 04:31 AM
Success! Went and bought an anti-static strap, some silver compound and replaced the MB. Took a few tries to get it to fire up, thought I connected something wrong, but on the third try it finally booted up. Had to update the display driver and sound driver and it seems to work great. Tested out the sound with some Rush- Subdivisions on youtube, well a drum cover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISuohhVk6Og