PDA

View Full Version : crank trigger pickup angle?

ericjon262
05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
can the position of the crankshaft position sensor be changed easily in a PCM's programming?

example:

say you were going to do a PCM conversion similar to EFI connection's setups:

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/24x.aspx

the trigger has to be aligned to TDC, and the PCM needs to know where the sensor is in relation to the crank, so say the sensor is on the opposite side of the block from the original application, could that be corrected without too much effort? maybe just changing a parameter in the .bin? or would you need to do an external trigger with the sensor in the correct position?

JeepsAndGuns
05-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Could you not just put the engine at TDC, mount the sensor, then rotate the trigger wheel to where its pointing at the right spot on the trigger wheel?

ericjon262
05-13-2013, 02:13 AM
wow... I was way overthinking this wasn't I... DOH

RobertISaar
05-13-2013, 02:18 AM
depends on if you're interfacing the crank sensor directly to the PCM or not. if it's going to an ICM, it MUST be in the correct, intended location, otherwise when in module mode, it will be off. if you are able to work in exact increments, then you could basically "clock" it around the crank, though you would likely end up having to modify the firing order of the coilpacks.

if going directly to the PCM, it should be able to be changed in the calibration.

of course, this depends on what kind of wheel too.... if it's an equal interval wheel, then it really won't matter at all, since those are used for speed calculations, not positioning.

ericjon262
05-13-2013, 02:23 AM
not equal, interfaced directly to the PCM.

RobertISaar
05-13-2013, 02:36 AM
then you can potentially put it at any angle, assuming you can modify the crank reference angle value in the calibration.

ericjon262
05-13-2013, 02:45 AM
well, hopefully I will have a bin file to look at later tonight so I can see what I'm working with. I think the simple way is just to rotate the wheel as mentioned above, but if it's possible to change the reference angle, that would take the guesswork out of it for sure, as I could use the value for my engine and be done with it.

Six_Shooter
05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
There would be no need to change the firing order on the coil pack, because you'd clock the trigger wheel in relation to the sensor. This would make everything work as if it were factory installed.

daleulan
05-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Depends on the engine cylinder count, mask type, and especially if you are needing misfire detection to work. Especially on a 58x wheel (60-2) with VRS sensor, the misfire detection window can't be within two teeth of the gap on either side. On the LS1-style mask (24x with the wide-narrow pattern) it should not matter provided you set the reference angle in the calibration correctly but I've never done it on a OE GM controller but the controllers I program (for work) handle different sensor angles transparently - you just type in the number.