PDA

View Full Version : Old Corvette guy, New Guy

Bguzz
04-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Hi I'm a long time corvette owner who was happy with what GM gave me, now I want to see what I have been missing and see if I can make the old GM efi corvettes make more MPG as I want one for my daily driver.

I picked up a 90 ragtop with 39K miles, it is a 6 speed and will be a little different for me all the c-4's I have owned up until now have been auto's.

I hope you guys can teach this old dog mechanic some new tricks, the days of doing simple things to carbed cars make the car a little quicker are over.

EagleMark
04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
:welcome2:

dave w
04-03-2013, 07:55 AM
I hope you guys can teach this old dog mechanic some new tricks, the days of doing simple things to carbed cars make the car a little quicker are over.

:welcome:

The new tricks now are with mouse clicks and software, much cleaner and quicker than working with a carburetor.

dave w

Bguzz
04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
:welcome:

The new tricks now are with mouse clicks and software, much cleaner and quicker than working with a carburetor.

dave w

Oh but carburetors are my thing, I feel at home when I have one apart, this stuff is going to take some off the old brain cells and reprogram them, I hope....LOL:thumbsup:

FSJ Guy
04-18-2013, 08:15 PM
The great thing (one of) with modern fuel injection is that you can change all sorts of parameters to get the response/fuel economy/power/driveability that YOU want. And all without getting greasy or dirty. Once set up, to adjust most things, you don't even have to open the hood.

You will find a lot of carburetor comparisons. There is accelerator enrichment and power enrichment. All stuff that carb people understand. Tuning isn't that different. As Dave said, it's just cleaner and quicker. As a carb tuner, I suspect you'll have an easier time tuning than someone like me who has had little engine experience. But this forum is a great resource.

EagleMark
04-18-2013, 08:25 PM
One thing you'll have to remember to do with EFI is check your oil!

Your not under the hood adjusting choke and idle all years so have to remember to open it and check oil! :laugh:

Bguzz
04-19-2013, 05:58 AM
One thing you'll have to remember to do with EFI is check your oil!

Your not under the hood adjusting choke and idle all years so have to remember to open it and check oil! :laugh:

I still check my oil religiously, new cars or not, I not only check the oil level I check for oil cleanliness, I can't stand dirty looking oil in my cars....

I know I'm not suppose to change it, but I do.