PDA

View Full Version : Search issues

1project2many
03-23-2013, 07:57 PM
This is carried over from the "Whatever" thread.

The "New Posts" button doesn't display any results from the Gearheads forum when I click it. Likewise, using the "search" box won't give me any results from Gearheads. I checked again just now and this is still the case.

I had some search issues a while back and I realized the search opens two windows... "surch multiple content types" and "search single content types." Using "search multiple content types" gives vastly different results than search single content type.

multiple content type searches ignore three letter words.
multpile content type searches won't search gearheads forum

Also, searching "new posts" doesn't show my new posts.

EagleMark
03-23-2013, 09:24 PM
New posts will not show your own. I know it does on some other forums, not sure why.

I just clicked New Posts and found your new post in GearHead forum.

multiple content type searches ignore three letter words This has always been an issue, sometimes EGR* works? I've changed the minimum limit to 3 from 4 and still does not work. There are limits in MySQL data base that may be the issues.

multpile content type searches won't search gearheads forum I just tried this, selected all content types and used code and code conversions and both times found the thread in GearHead forum...

Checked all your settings in admin panel and no issues?

Since some of your issues like New Posts work for me and Greg, I wonder if you have a corrupt cookie? Or is data and time on your PC correct? Your data and time in your settings is correct.

I think this is going to force me into a real search engine for vBulliten. Some of which, at this point I may need to hire someone to have installed or MySQL server settings changed. It's not my expertise and I am not about to screw up working forums with this much information. None of which I can afford right now, the site has not generated much income but has paid for server hosting for the last year, not much else.

gregs78cam
03-24-2013, 01:21 AM
For me the forum just said it was down for a while, now new posts button no worky. Says no new posts, yet go to main page and some forums have new posts.

EDIT: nevermind, I logged out and back in, and it now shows no blue forum icons. Looks to be all good for me, we'll see.....

EagleMark
03-24-2013, 03:21 AM
Well I did some vB forum upgrades today and it did not go well, I can't seem to post a new thread but can reply to old threads and PMs...

EagleMark
03-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Upgraded Forum software today and worked on search.

We have mobile software now. Someone with a smart phone let me know how it works?

Rebuilt entire Search Data base.

Search now updates immediate instead of once a day.

Main Search Window at top right of all pages works.

Single and Multiple both seem to work fine, threads in GearHead section are showing up.

Multiple Content Type is a waste, there are these options:
All Types "To many worthless choices!"
Forums "Only shows Forum, like BCC Find"
Posts "Only one needed"
Groups " No one has ever used a group"
Group Messages "No one has ever used a group message"
Visitor Messages "Who cares?"

Single Content Type works great if you leave it to default of "Posts" All the other options are same a Multiple Content Type that don't work.

For search terms of 3 letters or less, you have to add a * like EGR* and it works. This is a sever MySQL database issue and they will not change it.

When you use Advanced Search go to bottom of the form and it will say "Save Search Preferences" click on it and "Clear Search Preferences" It does not control the boxes, it controls your Cookies, so if you ever saved preference one way, that's the only way it's going to work next time!

There's so many ways to search wrong that I am going to change the Advanced Search Page!

It's 11:PM, I started this 11 hours ago when it was posted. I'm going to bed! :rockon:

1project2many
03-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Since some of your issues like New Posts work for me and Greg, I wonder if you have a corrupt cookie? Or is data and time on your PC correct? Your data and time in your settings is correct.
I access this site from up to 5-6 different pc's per day. I use three desktops at work, sometimes a laptop or two. My desk machine is usually up and running with one window on the site, and yesterday I was posting from the wife's laptop while I watched the kids.

Upgraded Forum software today and worked on search.
Wow!!! This is awesome. I wasn't trying to start anything though... I've been dealing with the search stuff for as long as the site's been up. I was just mentioning it in case you had nothing better to do.:innocent2:

EagleMark
03-24-2013, 08:23 PM
You just gave me the push I needed to get this done!

Another pleasant surprise is if you click new posts and there are none... you get this message
"Sorry, there are no new posts to view.

You may search for posts updated during the previous 24 hours, here"
If you click the here you will see your own posts now as well as all old posts you have not read.

Still working on server end, but if I go the 3 letters which we need badly it will put a huge load on server search! I could add a list of 3 letter common words to ignore?

Right now I need a EFI related 3 letter list as an include, it still won't work unless you add * to 3 letters, maybe some Java could add * to any search word with 3 letters? Then I would not need instruction for user to add * to 3 letters?

EagleMark
03-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Never mind, the * added to 3 letters does not work. I have a tech support ticket into server in another attempt to reduce from 4 to 3 letters.

EagleMark
03-26-2013, 02:42 AM
They won't make the change from 4 letters to 3 letters. Only option is a dedicated server so I could make changes to the MySQL, for one big enough for this sites files it's $199 a month. Not going to happen.

Other Option is use Google, there free version is full of ads, not just searches of this site, the other option is $100 a year which is a possibility.

Installing the different search engine into forum VB software will not help get past the 4 letter limit in MySQL at server.

1project2many
03-26-2013, 04:46 AM
No need to spend crazy money. Three letter search works in advanced search--> single content type.

Search for egr code and the EGR coolant temp thread comes up at the top. Good enough for me.

EagleMark
03-26-2013, 05:08 AM
Hmmm? Seems you found something! 3 letter words do use the 3 letter if combined with another word! Woo Hoo!

Yup, just tested again, egr = nothing, egr and cts = nothing, egr and cts with code = Search results with both three letter words because I have then entered in vBulliten software!!! Woo Hoo!