PDA

View Full Version : From The Hills of Tennessee

Red450IH
02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Hello all.

I have wanted to get into playing with fuel injection swaps/tuning for quiet a while but always put it off thinking it may be over my head. After reading through this site and seeing all of the great information and helpful people I've decided to give it an attempt.

I have a few GM vehicles with EFI that want to start out with data logging to get the feel, then tune those existing systems. After learning this, I'll move on to a couple EFI conversions I want to do. My humble beginnings, I have downloaded WINALDL and bought a cable from Hamilton Fuel Injection to connect to the USB port on my laptop. Also looking into Tunercat for tuning. Any tips for a beginner? Thanks, Keith

EFI vehicles:

1987 K30 454/TH400 (1227747 ECM, ACLP)

1990 Suburban 350/700R4 (1227747 ECM, ASDU)

1990 454SS truck 454/TH400 (1228747 ECM, ATDX)

Vehicles to convert to GM TBI:

1972 Ford F-100 302/C4

1974 K20 350/700R4

EagleMark
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
WinALDL is like tuning by brail. Get TunerPro RT and you can tune your bin/chip in same program you datalog with and data trace. Find your files here.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?20-GM-ECM-Bins-TunerPro-Definition-Files-Wiring-Diagrams-Tuner-Info!

Read this:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?466-TunerPro-starter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read!-)

dave w
02-06-2013, 10:45 PM
:welcome:

I like TunerPro RT better than WinALD. The TBI computers in your vehicles are supported very nicely with TunerPro RT!

dave w

Dewayne_S
02-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Hello , Welcome and

send me some moonshine.....:innocent2:

Red450IH
02-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the replies and information. I'll begin looking into TunerPro RT.

As for the shine, I still know folks who make a little up in the woods. ;)

pmkls1
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Red, tunerpro is a free download and is fully functional without registering. There is a cheap fee that you can pay to gain support from the developer and I recommend doing so, but it isn't necessary to have full function of the program. BTW, what area do you live in ? I'm in Sevierville.

Dewayne_S
02-08-2013, 08:29 PM
http://tunerpro.net

Red450IH
02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks, I thought it was pay only. I'm in middle TN, but lived in Knoxville for ten years and still have a lot of friends in your area. I visit the Knox Pull a Part about every couple months.

Red, tunerpro is a free download and is fully functional without registering. There is a cheap fee that you can pay to gain support from the developer and I recommend doing so, but it isn't necessary to have full function of the program. BTW, what area do you live in ? I'm in Sevierville.

EagleMark
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
TunerPro RT is fully funtional without payment, when registered the only thing that changes is the 10 second nag screen when opening goes away.

But we do encourage everyone to pay the measly $39 so we keep getting updates. The software compares to the $899 model that is far more restrictive!

pmkls1
02-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks, I thought it was pay only. I'm in middle TN, but lived in Knoxville for ten years and still have a lot of friends in your area. I visit the Knox Pull a Part about every couple months.

The main tunerpro website is http://www.tunerpro.net/ and all of the information about it's capabilities and whatnot are there. You can actually find the best definition, datastream, and bin file selection here on the Gearhead EFI website.

I actually used to live in middle TN, but I have lived out here for about 11 years (I did a little hopping around in between). I went to HS in Murfreesboro and my dad lives in Lebanon so I visit there a couple times a year. I usually stop around Cookeville for food on my way through. Anyway, Tunerpro RT is the best tuning program that I have ever used for OBD I applications, period. You can tune, datalog, burn chips, and emulate with just one program so it keeps things simple. You can at least download it and try it out without having to shell out money for something that you may not like. I definitely recommend registering it because it keeps development going. The guy that developed the program (Mark Mansur) is just an individual that did it in his spare time, so the $39 registration fees are the only funds he receives to keep the program up to date and new functions, capabilities, and vehicle applications added.

Red450IH
02-14-2013, 05:10 AM
I'm leaning towards TunnerPro at this time. And the $39 registration is very reasonable. I'm still waiting on my USB to ALDL cable. The one I ordered got lost in the mail. What do I need to buy to emulate for real time tuning? If you were closer I'd say we could get together and bounce ideas off one another.

EagleMark
02-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Did the cable you purchased have a jumper or switch for 10k ?

Look at Moates website for AutoProm which has a cable for datalogging and chip burner all in one unit, or Ostrich wheich is just an emulator.

pmkls1
02-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Ditto what Mark said. I buy just about everything from moates.net . You can save yourself headaches and buy the all-in-one unit called the Autoprom. It logs, emulates. and burns chips and comes with a license for tunerpro rt for $329. By the time you buy a burner, aldl cable, and emulator you have spent more what the autoprom costs and still have to pay for a tunerpro license. You will also have 3 separate usb connections instead of just 1 with the autoprom. If you already have a cable and burner then the ostritch is a good buy and fairly cheap.

EagleMark
02-15-2013, 04:51 AM
I have a couple cables, an Ostrich a Burn 2 a Willems Gq-4x all sitting with dust on them because the only thing I use is the AutoProm.

pmkls1
02-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Yeah, if I only knew then what I know now................. I would have just bought the AutoProm when I first started, things would have been simpler.

dave w
02-15-2013, 05:26 AM
I decided on the Ostrich 2, mostly because I have the newer TBI computer (1993 ~ 1995). For the older TBI computers, the AutoProm is a good option. The Ostrich 2 requires a socket booster for the older TBI computers. The PROM socket in the in the older TBI computers need to be modified to a DIP socket for the socket booster.

dave w

pmkls1
02-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Since I already have a burner, aldl cable, and tunerpro license I am going to buy an Ostritch to save money. If I were starting out with nothing again I would go with the AutoProm for simplicity and overall lower cost.

Red450IH
02-16-2013, 05:36 AM
Mark, there is not a 10K switch or resister in the cable. I got it from http://hamiltonfuelinjection.com/
(http://hamiltonfuelinjection.com/)
I'm just getting my feet wet with this cable. I'm new to all this and doing research in my spare time, so it takes awhile. I seriously considered the Moates APU1 but taking baby steps right now.

Did the cable you purchased have a jumper or switch for 10k ?

Look at Moates website for AutoProm which has a cable for datalogging and chip burner all in one unit, or Ostrich wheich is just an emulator.

pmkls1
02-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Well, if you are going to tune and emulate then it would be a wise investment to go with the APU1. Once you get started you need to all-in if you want to avoid a lot of headaches.