PDA

View Full Version : how do you tell TBI injectors apart? I'm lost and even have a pic

stackz
06-04-2023, 08:45 PM

I have no clue. I see no numbers anywhere on either of these sets, they look identical to me. set on the left is a set from a 4.3 and set on the right is a set from a 454. is it the ever so slight color change on the lower filters or something? because those can be lost.

but yeah, I keep them in bags identified other than for this pic...but I'm just worried for when I start swapping them out in the housings while testing tunes and they get otherwise mixed up somehow...

also, I know there are supposed to be color coded paint markings on the top middle but as you can see, its gone on these.

Bent72
06-05-2023, 01:18 AM
If you look at the injector top, there is a number etched into the flat surface below the driver prongs. Cross those numbers back and it should tell you

IIRC the one ending in 206 was a 5.7L injector

stew86MCSS396
06-05-2023, 05:57 AM
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?81-GM-TBI-Injector-size-color-and-part-numbers

stackz
06-05-2023, 06:44 PM
thanks for the info guys. I'm guessing the four injectors I posted originally are all aftermarket or something. I cleaned them all off to the point I can see the machining marks and no numbers. maybe they were printed on and not etched into the metal surface? oh well. I will just continue with my bags I guess.

stew86MCSS396
06-05-2023, 08:44 PM
Yeah about that...I had a few that had slight surface corrosion and had the same result after trying to clean it up. :rolleye:

PlayingWithTBI
06-06-2023, 07:00 PM
thanks for the info guys. I'm guessing the four injectors I posted originally are all aftermarket or something. I cleaned them all off to the point I can see the machining marks and no numbers. maybe they were printed on and not etched into the metal surface? oh well. I will just continue with my bags I guess.

You can send them out to be cleaned and flow tested. Then scribe an equivalent number on them so you can readily recognize them when mixed together.

stackz
06-06-2023, 09:06 PM
You can send them out to be cleaned and flow tested. Then scribe an equivalent number on them so you can readily recognize them when mixed together.

I mean, I guess will just mark them myself real quick with a razor blade before I forget what they came from. by the time I pay for shipping/flow test, etc I might as well just buy a new one.