PDA

View Full Version : Hello my name is Ashley

Boilermonkey
05-08-2023, 04:21 AM
Good evening all. My name is Ashley. I'm a long time gear head and mechanical engineer. Looking to learn about TBI conversions for older carbureted trucks.

Thanks

1project2many
05-08-2023, 08:36 PM
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. There seem to be a number of folks here with that same purpose. What kind of truck are you working on?

Boilermonkey
05-08-2023, 09:19 PM
Actually working on 3. A 1979 Jeep J20, AMC 360, 4-speed, a 1975 Jeep CJ5, GM 350, SM420 4-speed, and a 1980 Chevrolet Silverado, 454, SM465 4-speed. All trail rigs. All currently carbureted. The J20 is the only one that is currently drive able.. My tow vehicle is a 1989 Chevy K3500, 454, SM465 4-speed; currently TBI.

1project2many
05-09-2023, 03:30 PM
Those sound like good projects to start with. You may be able to use TBI parts from a square body truck to convert the '80 Silverado. I stripped a totaled '86 to retrofit an '83 and almost everything installed without modification.

The CJ5 might be the next easiest as there are over the counter parts to help retrofit TBI to carbureted Chevrolet engines. Make sure to use a fuel tank designed for EFI so the engine doesn't suffer temporary fuel starvation while driving.

There was at least one member that swapped GM EFI onto an AMC engine. If you search archives you'll likely find posts that provide clues as to what was done. That individual may have had to hand build several components for the swap.

And of course, feel free to ask questions. There are plenty of folks here that have some experience with retrofits.

Fast355
05-11-2023, 04:02 AM
Those sound like good projects to start with. You may be able to use TBI parts from a square body truck to convert the '80 Silverado. I stripped a totaled '86 to retrofit an '83 and almost everything installed without modification.

The CJ5 might be the next easiest as there are over the counter parts to help retrofit TBI to carbureted Chevrolet engines. Make sure to use a fuel tank designed for EFI so the engine doesn't suffer temporary fuel starvation while driving.

There was at least one member that swapped GM EFI onto an AMC engine. If you search archives you'll likely find posts that provide clues as to what was done. That individual may have had to hand build several components for the swap.

And of course, feel free to ask questions. There are plenty of folks here that have some experience with retrofits.

I gutted a beat 1992 G20 cargo van that I bought cheap with a smoked 700r4 when I put TBI on my 1983 back in the day. Swapped most of the parts directly over.