PDA

View Full Version : Getting started flash II

G20spacecruiser
05-02-2023, 10:37 PM
Hello, is there a decent diagram showing the 1 through 18 pin locations on the large plug that goes into the ECM?

dave w
05-03-2023, 04:19 PM
Are you using a Dynamic EFI Flash II?

Perhaps the schematics for the 1227747 will work? Gearhead-efi 1227747 link with schematics: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42

RBob
05-03-2023, 06:44 PM
The '7747 wiring is very close to the EBL ECM. The Information Help document included with the EBL system has the pin out. Can also hit our site for full wiring diagrams, under the Information drop down menu.

RBob.

G20spacecruiser
05-03-2023, 07:49 PM
Thank you!

G20spacecruiser
05-12-2023, 08:13 AM
When selecting a EBL_F_BIN file, should I pick one that matches the year of the van (88)? Or..
The motor is a 5.7 crate motor with vortex heads. So do I pick the 5.7 vortex BIN?

PlayingWithTBI
05-12-2023, 10:34 PM
I'd start with the Vortec (sp) file. IIRC I started with the EBL_F_3000.bin file. YMMV

G20spacecruiser
05-13-2023, 07:34 AM
Thanks!

G20spacecruiser
05-17-2023, 10:51 PM
Well so far so good, I have the F BIN read into the calibrator. Now the scary part, the calibrating.

For example the number of cylinders was already set to 0.00 which equals 8 cylinders if I understand correct. So does this mean all of the items are already set to a certain setting?

"if the injectors are larger, the fuel pressure has been increased, heads or cam changed, then some of the calibration parameters will require changing prior to starting the engine "

It's a yes to those first three points, so I'm not sure, any help would be very much appreciated.

PlayingWithTBI
05-18-2023, 12:15 AM
What "calibrator" are you using, the latest TunerPro RT, I hope?

Where you quoted the part about injectors and fuel pressure, it looks like you're reading from "Introduction to Tuning Part 2. Just follow his instructions. For example, BPC. Your EBL should have come with the "EBL Utility" which will give you the values for that after you plug in the numbers on the left. Then copy the column and paste it in to the Table BPC - BPC vs VAC. Just keep following the instructions so you'll see what's going on and check to ensure they're germane to your setup. There's also "Calibration Help" included with the EBL which defines all of the Constants, Switches, and Tables - enjoy!

G20spacecruiser
05-18-2023, 01:34 AM
Yes I'm using the TunerPro RT.
Thank you, I'll be diving back into it when I get home tonight.

G20spacecruiser
05-20-2023, 07:12 AM
I'm figuring it out somewhat, the only thing left is to shut off the EGR. The components are no longer there of course, I seem to recall something about increasing a value in the EGR settings?

PlayingWithTBI
05-20-2023, 05:45 PM
I'm figuring it out somewhat, the only thing left is to shut off the EGR. The components are no longer there of course, I seem to recall something about increasing a value in the EGR settings?

Yes, in Scalars go down to "EGR - CTS Enable Threshold" and set it to ~150, hopefully your engine will never reach 150° C

G20spacecruiser
05-23-2023, 07:42 PM
Alright, I'm now at the point where I need to flash in the code. The weekend got busy so that had to wait, the instructions for flashing seem pretty straightforward, but I appreciate any advice I can get.

PlayingWithTBI
05-23-2023, 09:37 PM
Alright, I'm now at the point where I need to flash in the code. The weekend got busy so that had to wait, the instructions for flashing seem pretty straightforward, but I appreciate any advice I can get.

In a nut shell, connect your laptop to the EBL, match your Comm Port with your Laptop, with KOEO, look to see you're connected. Click on Display, flash, Select bin, OK, select bank. Then click on apply, it should do its thing and you'll see it flashed in ~4 seconds. Turn the key off for ~10 seconds. Then you're ready to start it up and see what happens...

G20spacecruiser
05-24-2023, 07:40 PM
Thanks, does it matter which bank I select?
Also before the first start how do I set dist.? Do I disconnect the brown wire before I start it and then set the timing ASAP?

PlayingWithTBI
05-24-2023, 07:57 PM
Thanks, does it matter which bank I select?
Also before the first start how do I set dist.? Do I disconnect the brown wire before I start it and then set the timing ASAP?

Any bank will work, maybe start at bank 0 and work your way up. Did you set your PROM ID number? As you modify/tune your .bin you can increase your PROM ID by 1 digit so you have a history of your changes from .bin to .bin

You have your distributor pointing to #1 cylinder at TDC Compression stroke right? Leave the EST bypass wire hooked up for now. You'll want to set your Initial Timing with engine warmed up to operating temp. If it won't run for you at 1st, you can play with it until it does. Then, if you have to break in the cam, do that 1st following the procedure from the cam company. Then go to fine tuning your Initial Timing. Note; with some stiffer cams you may want to set it at ~10° advanced and then put that number in "Scalars SA-Initial SA". That may help with start up.

G20spacecruiser
05-28-2023, 02:35 AM
I'm having trouble getting the What's up display to connect to one of the (COM & LPT) ports, I see a COM three through nine in device manager but I don't know how to enable one of them?

Edit- never mind, I unplugged it plugged it back in and now it's receiving valid data.

G20spacecruiser
05-30-2023, 06:30 AM
Started it up, went through cam break in procedure. All is good so far ..

G20spacecruiser
06-06-2023, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the help! Drove the van to work today, it's running good. What a great product, I was intimidated at first by it, but it's not that hard to figure out.

PlayingWithTBI
06-06-2023, 07:37 PM
I was intimidated at first by it, but it's not that hard to figure out.
It is fun to play with it. Just a suggestion; anytime you make a change in the .bin, change the PROM ID number and save the .bin with the same #. Then flash it to another bank and try it out. If it doesn't do what you want, you can always switch back to the previous bank, even on the fly. Then play with it some more, happy hunting :rockon: