PDA

View Full Version : New Member-XDF question-surprised?

woog74
02-28-2023, 10:05 PM
Hi all new member here. I've tried researching this, but keep getting conflicting information. I think I need to use a different IOS and XDF number to delete security from my PCM. I have found several recommendations for what IOS/XDF to use instead of my IOS. My question is, does using a different IOS/XDF alter the base tune for my PCM? Or does the base tune stay the same and this just allows me to access/alter it?

bobcratchet555
02-28-2023, 10:41 PM
Hi all new member here. I've tried researching this, but keep getting conflicting information. I think I need to use a different IOS and XDF number to delete security from my PCM. I have found several recommendations for what IOS/XDF to use instead of my IOS. My question is, does using a different IOS/XDF alter the base tune for my PCM? Or does the base tune stay the same and this just allows me to access/alter it?

using a tune with a different OS can affect your base tune. It really depends on what is important to you.

For example - LM7 used the same heads and cam from 99 to 06. However
-some years have EGR, some do not
-some years have different injectors
-some years have different fuel systems - example return style (earlier years) vs returnless (typically 03+)
-some will be drive by cable vs drive by wire

That said, you can almost certainly use universal patcher to disable vats on your ECU, if it is from any gen 3 LS engine. What OS is it? Can you upload the tune that you read out from your computer here?

Fast355
02-28-2023, 11:16 PM
using a tune with a different OS can affect your base tune. It really depends on what is important to you.

-some years have different fuel systems - example return style (earlier years) vs returnless (typically 03+)

That said, you can almost certainly use universal patcher to disable vats on your ECU, if it is from any gen 3 LS engine. What OS is it? Can you upload the tune that you read out from your computer here?

Early LM7 had a different cam.

bobcratchet555
03-01-2023, 12:36 AM
Early LM7 had a different cam.

thanks for the correction, i'm guessing that would be '99 and '00 ?

Fast355
03-01-2023, 01:28 AM
thanks for the correction, i'm guessing that would be '99 and '00 ?

I was corrected the other day as well. Apparantly it is a 99 only thing.

woog74
03-01-2023, 05:08 AM

It's a 05 LR4/4L60 2wd DBW Non Egr, returnless fuel, with E Fans. It has OS ID 12592618, which is what I can not find a definitely complete XDF for. I have found a lot of people working on that XDF, but have not found a known good XDF for it. If I'm understanding you correctly I should search for OS ID/XDF that has the closest version of that drivetrain? (I kind of figured this would be the case but just wanted to ask for confirmation)

If I can not find exact same drivetrain, aren't some of these features able to be turned on? Or am I wrong on that? For example if I found a LR4 from like...03, IE No E fan and DBC, can I enable that? Or is that not possible? Also, would it matter if it came from a 4x4 as long as it had a 4L60?

I'm just looking to do the basics along with the Vats. Disable downstream O2, and Evap, turn off speed limiter, eliminate power enrichment delay. Is "universal patcher" able to do those features as well? Or would it only facilitate the vats?

I do have the tune downloaded, just looked at it for the first time. It's literally hundreds of pages....is this normal?

Thx for your help.

Fast355
03-01-2023, 05:17 AM
It's a 05 LR4/4L60 2wd DBW Non Egr, returnless fuel, with E Fans. It has OS ID 12592618, which is what I can not find a definitely complete XDF for. I have found a lot of people working on that XDF, but have not found a known good XDF for it. If I'm understanding you correctly I should search for OS ID/XDF that has the closest version of that drivetrain? (I kind of figured this would be the case but just wanted to ask for confirmation)

If I can not find exact same drivetrain, aren't some of these features able to be turned on? Or am I wrong on that? For example if I found a LR4 from like...03, IE No E fan and DBC, can I enable that? Or is that not possible? Also, would it matter if it came from a 4x4 as long as it had a 4L60?

I'm just looking to do the basics along with the Vats. Disable downstream O2, and Evap, turn off speed limiter, eliminate power enrichment delay. Is "universal patcher" able to do those features as well? Or would it only facilitate the vats?

I do have the tune downloaded, just looked at it for the first time. It's literally hundreds of pages....is this normal?

Thx for your help.

I found a XDF for that OS. Think it was on the Delco Hacking page. Also Universal Patcher can export one too.

bobcratchet555
03-01-2023, 05:41 AM

Thx for your help.

universal patcher can do all that, its a little bit less intuitive than tunerpro depending on what interface you are used to (certainly no offense intended to the developers)

you can find an xdf for that OS here - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7916 i think you will have to join that forum but not a huge deal

you can also look at the .bin files by year thread here, i am sure there is a similar bin on here somewhere. you can mix and match many of those features (for example enabling efans on a tune that did not have them originally, etc) once you learn the ropes of tuner pro or universal patcher

woog74
03-01-2023, 06:01 AM
you can find an xdf for that OS here - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7916 i think you will have to join that forum but not a huge deal

I have read so many threads about tuning, as well as my specific XDF number over the past few weeks that I did not recognize your name from that thread. I was a little worried about using that XDF as it seemed to have a couple issues that other guys with experience were able to get worked out, but I was really hesitant since I'm a complete newb. I read your comment about there being an issue with PCM hacker, But you are saying I can trust that XDF with TunerPro?

bobcratchet555
03-01-2023, 07:13 AM
I have read so many threads about tuning, as well as my specific XDF number over the past few weeks that I did not recognize your name from that thread. I was a little worried about using that XDF as it seemed to have a couple issues that other guys with experience were able to get worked out, but I was really hesitant since I'm a complete newb. I read your comment about there being an issue with PCM hacker, But you are saying I can trust that XDF with TunerPro?

just set vats to 1 instead of 2 in tunerpro. tunerpro will say "PWM" with that xdf, universal patcher will say "none". the makers of universal patcher claim to be correct. I have not had a chance to test it but by all means, set it to 1 and let us know how it goes!! fortunately once you are set up, its basically free to make changes and try things.

ralmo94
03-01-2023, 06:03 PM
You can also use a patch in universal patcher to disable vats.

https://youtu.be/mfVzxEDEXF4

woog74
03-01-2023, 06:44 PM
You can also use a patch in universal patcher to disable vats.

https://youtu.be/mfVzxEDEXF4

Thank you for this. I was searching around for something similar last night.

woog74
03-02-2023, 05:31 AM
just set vats to 1 instead of 2 in tunerpro. tunerpro will say "PWM" with that xdf, universal patcher will say "none". the makers of universal patcher claim to be correct. I have not had a chance to test it but by all means, set it to 1 and let us know how it goes!! fortunately once you are set up, its basically free to make changes and try things.

Don't know if I'm doing something wrong as a newb, or if I'm doing it correctly and the program still has a glitch but it will not save the Bin File. I get the checksum error when I go to save it. I tried downloading checksum plug ins and pasting into TunerPro Plugin file and resaving, but keep getting the same message.

bobcratchet555
03-02-2023, 07:56 AM
Don't know if I'm doing something wrong as a newb, or if I'm doing it correctly and the program still has a glitch but it will not save the Bin File. I get the checksum error when I go to save it. I tried downloading checksum plug ins and pasting into TunerPro Plugin file and resaving, but keep getting the same message.

i have that problem with tunerpro sometimes as well. seems to depend on the xdf. you can always use universal patcher to make sure the checksums are correct

bobcratchet555
03-02-2023, 07:56 AM
also i did confirm this evening that vats = 1 is the correct setting

woog74
03-02-2023, 07:12 PM
i have that problem with tunerpro sometimes as well. seems to depend on the xdf. you can always use universal patcher to make sure the checksums are correct

Thx for your help. Good to know that others have the same issue with tunerpro sometimes. I kept telling myself there must have been something I was doing wrong because I was new. I did set vats to 1 as you said in the other thread. I will check out universal patcher later and hopefully get it resolved.

woog74
03-03-2023, 11:17 PM
Just an update Universal Patcher worked great. Confirmed by starting the donor vehicle without the key this morning. Thx for everyone who contributed and helped me, I appreciate that.

One last question. I could not figure out how to turn off fuel enrinchment delay with Universal Patcher. Is there a way to do that with Universal Patcher? Or can I possibly now take this modified file from Universal Patcher and open it in Tuner Pro? Is the whole checksum thing a null issue now that the program has been modified by Universal Patcher? Or would it still need the Checksum plugin if I altered that program in Tuner Pro?

kur4o
03-03-2023, 11:43 PM
Just an update Universal Patcher worked great. Confirmed by starting the donor vehicle without the key this morning. Thx for everyone who contributed and helped me, I appreciate that.

One last question. I could not figure out how to turn off fuel enrinchment delay with Universal Patcher. Is there a way to do that with Universal Patcher? Or can I possibly now take this modified file from Universal Patcher and open it in Tuner Pro? Is the whole checksum thing a null issue now that the program has been modified by Universal Patcher? Or would it still need the Checksum plugin if I altered that program in Tuner Pro?

Sure you can do that.
Type in the filter box

PE_delay

and all related parameters will be visible for editing.