PDA

View Full Version : New guy from OK

TBurke
10-09-2022, 10:40 PM
Hey fellers, I'm Trevor from Oklahoma City. Joined the forum after hearing about tuner pro from youtube and thought I'd give it a shot. I have several projects all of which are ls based with factory pcms. One I am currently working on is my dads 89 cheyenne with a 4.8 5 speed swap. I haven't been able to tune his truck yet so the computer thinks it is an LM7 with a 4l60E

ralmo94
10-09-2022, 10:53 PM
You might wanna checkout universal Patcher and do a seg swap with a manual bin

TBurke
10-10-2022, 01:37 AM
Would that also change all the things on the engine side? Or could i use a 4.8 with manual trans bin? It has a different os id though. My pcm is 9373372

ralmo94
10-10-2022, 02:04 AM
Segment Swapping is Swapping Entire Segments From one calibration to another, Example, Swap the Transmission Segment from a manual file to your file. Or Swap and Engine Segment to another File. Both Files have to be the Same Operating System, And you have to Write the entire file same as if you change operating systems.
You didn't mention what OS or PCM you are using, or what year model donor was. DBC or DBW. Be advised p59 1 meg / p01 512 k files are not interchangeable, as Drive By Cable and Drive By Wire PCM's are not interchangeable. If you can find a stock 4.8 Manual file that matches DBW or DBC, and 512 or 1 Meg, there is no reason you cant start with that. Just make sure to disable Vats

ralmo94
10-10-2022, 02:07 AM
Can You post the Stock File in your PCM ?

TBurke
10-10-2022, 04:24 AM
PCM is out of a 99 gmc with a 5.3. I had it laying on a shelf when I did the swap not even sure where it came from really. After everything was in the truck I had my dad turn the key to make sure the engine would crank. Well it did but it also started and continued to run and he's been driving it for almost 2 years like that now. He tells me it seems loose power as RPMs increase and I'm sure this is because it thinks it's an auto. I'll insert the bin I pulled today as well as a picture of the OS and everything else. I'm sure you gathered already but truck is DBC. Also I'm completely new to this I've used HP tuners in the past but nothing like this

TBurke
10-10-2022, 04:28 AM

ralmo94
10-10-2022, 04:42 AM
It appears someone has been in there before, Universal patcher shows non stock checksums
Here is a page about the vin pulled from that bin
http://www.free-vin-decoder.com/vin/2GTEC19T5X1550051
Appears to be a GMC 1500 2wd LM7 5.3 4L60e with 3.42 gears

ralmo94
10-10-2022, 04:48 AM
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?1513-2002-TunerPro-Bin-Files
post 9 has a 4.8 manual bin in the 2156 OS. This is a pretty common used OS with lots of support.

Here is an XDF I had a copy of for that OS, You might be able to find others

ralmo94
10-10-2022, 04:50 AM
Universal Patcher shows all stock checksums also

TBurke
10-10-2022, 05:24 AM
I'm not able to save that xdf. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out by the way. I understand what the BIN is XDF files are what I think is stumping me on this deal. Does the XDF file control what you see and you see it on all of the tuning software? I've downloaded universal patcher and thats what I'm trying to work with

ralmo94
10-10-2022, 05:40 AM
I'm not able to save that xdf. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out by the way. I understand what the BIN is XDF files are what I think is stumping me on this deal. Does the XDF file control what you see and you see it on all of the tuning software? I've downloaded universal patcher and thats what I'm trying to work with

An XDF tells tuner pro what location what table is at in the file, Its what translates the raw hex computer code in to what we can use and understand
Universal Patcher does not Use an XDF. It looks for the tables, not at an exact location.

In order to save files in Tuner Pro you also need a check sum plug in

Universal Patcher not only doesn't need that either, but can fix check sum errors, and does every time it saves a file.

I hope that takes some of the learning curve out of it for you

TBurke
10-10-2022, 05:54 AM
Ok that's what I was wondering. When i first downloaded Universal Patcher and opened the .bin it had all sorts of drop down menus and I could view things, but I got an unexpected error and it basically went blank so I restarted my computer and tried again but still nothing. I've been thinking I needed an xdf file the whole time.

TBurke
10-10-2022, 05:56 AM

ralmo94
10-10-2022, 06:09 AM
Did you get it working?
or are you still having issues?

TBurke
10-10-2022, 06:25 AM
I got it figured out. If I use the shortcut I created it doesn't work but it works if I open it from the download file. I found the transmission segment and switched it to manual. Is there anything I need to change in the engine parameters or does that change when i change transmission seg like in hp tuners? I'm using the 4.8 manual trans bin as a comparison

ralmo94
10-10-2022, 06:28 AM
I got it figured out. If I use the shortcut I created it doesn't work but it works if I open it from the download file. I found the transmission segment and switched it to manual. Is there anything I need to change in the engine parameters or does that change when i change transmission seg like in hp tuners? I'm using the 4.8 manual trans bin as a comparison
I would recommend you just start with the entire bin, since both the engine and trans match your truck, both tunes are both 3.42 gears, or supposed to be.
You cant seg swap between the two files as they are different OS. 2156 is the newer better os, More OE refinments. Also your original bin doesn't show as stock. I would start with as stock as you can get, then as you make changes from stock, YOU know what you changed and why