PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bricked an obdll dongle by leaving it plugged in untill the battery dies

Trgrhpy
09-10-2022, 11:39 PM
I left a OBDXPRO VT V3 adaptor plugged into the obd port. I do that often but I'm normally driving the car daily so its not an issue. Last week I left in plugged in and left town. A week later when I got back the battery was dead. No problem, unplugged adaptor and put a charger on the car. next day, battery fully charged, plug in VT PRO, lights go on but wont connect to car or phone/laptop. It looks like the bluetooth works and shows as connected with the laptop. Tuner pro and PC Hammer dont show as connected to the car. Spoke with Pete at OBDXPRO-dot-com, he said it may have damaged the adaptor from leaving it running with less power than it was designed for. Sounds plausable, so I ordered another one should be here in 5 days or so. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? The adaptor I screwed up worked perfectly. I have no problem admitting it was my fault and getting a new one because it worked so perfectly. Thanks!

steveo
09-10-2022, 11:51 PM
not specifically with the obdxpro, but on a more general level, electronics definitely can be damaged from prolonged operation either above or below their voltage specs.

Trgrhpy
09-11-2022, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, good to know for my next one!