PDA

View Full Version : hello

Purv-Dawg
06-11-2022, 08:34 AM
Hello. I'm new to ecm tuning. I recently purchased an EBL flash II from dynamic efi for my old 1989 GMC C1500 5.7L. It's been in my family since it was new and I'm just trying to keep it alive and well.

PlayingWithTBI
06-11-2022, 09:01 PM
:welcome:
I have one with a WBO2 in my 88, good stuff! :rockon:

Purv-Dawg
06-12-2022, 06:22 AM
These are good trucks. I started by following the recommendations made by Harris tuning. Aka TBI Chips.

Exhaust upgrade, like he suggested
Cat upgrade
Davis unified distributor
Pertronics ignition coil
Air cleaner upgrade
Heated O2 sensor
High pressure oil pump
Edelbrock 3702 camshaft
Heads are still stock.
Truck is still rust free after 33years but the paint is shot

I recently upgraded the brake master cylinder to a NBS
MC and upgraded the rear wheel cylinders to a one ton.

I forgot to mention that I remanufactured the 700r4 with a kit from Dana @ Pro Built Automatics. It was more expensive than the monster transmission kits but it fixed virtually all the weak spots. The only parts I didn't upgrade were the shell and the driveshaft. It was upgraded to a sixteen clutch system from originally six. It would have cost me $5k to buy it new but I did it myself for about $1k. That's what gave me the upgrade sickness.

PlayingWithTBI
06-12-2022, 06:10 PM
What Throttle Body and fuel pump are you running?

I had a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil, it lasted under 2500 miles before it went bad along with the Spectra Premium ICM. I'm not sure which killed which. The engine ran but stumbled at idle and cruising at ~2000 RPM.

These heads are a big upgrade over the 193 swirl port ones. They give you a little more compression too. You'll want to go with hardened push rods. and non-self centering rockers, since they use guide plates. Or remove the guide plates and add hardened washers to replace them.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108