PDA

View Full Version : Extremely high knock counts.

Tuscanlazers
01-28-2022, 04:09 AM
So I finally got a aldl cable and did some data logging and noticed my knock counts are stupid high. It's over 20,000 knock counts over my 20 minute drive. The knock retard came on a few times too but went away. I'm not sure what this means since I am very new. Anyone have any insight on what could be happening?

steveo
01-28-2022, 06:14 AM
the count number itself means nothing

20,000 knock counts might be only a few knocks

if it's a manual and you did one crappy shift and ground a synchro that could be 10,000 knock counts right there

it's WHEN the count increases that matters

the amount the number increases can be a measure of how extreme the knock is, though. a knock count increase of 1 might not even be worth caring about, but a knock count of hundreds is a lot

you need to find the point in the log where the knock count goes up.

then find the MAP and RPM at that point, but also look at other factors

if you can export your log to CSV and use my trimalyzer tool it will map the knock counts onto a chart so you can see 'clusters' of the knock events where they occur.

Tuscanlazers
01-28-2022, 06:22 AM
I'm not entirely sure how to add a file on this forum so I'll link you to a post on gmt400.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/extremely-high-knock-counts.56444/post-1215380

can you point me in the direction on reading my data logs as well id like to not have to ask questions about rookie stuff.

steveo
01-29-2022, 04:39 PM
you have to log into download that file on the other forum. you post files here by clicking 'go advanced' and then 'manage attachments'.

PlayingWithTBI
01-30-2022, 02:24 AM
Here, I'll try to help with that. Let's try the .zip file the .csv was too big, ~13MB

trlrider
01-30-2022, 05:40 AM
I had massive amounts of Knock Counts just by starting my engine.
Added a 3/4 brass fitting between the knock sensor and the block, those are very low now.
Even with the high knock counts, I almost never saw knock retard while trying to tune my smallblock chevy.