PDA

View Full Version : I'm BACK! with an S-10, shes ready for some tuning!

CapriceLT1
07-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Hey guys, I got rid of my 9C1 :'( and bought a 1996 Chevy S10, 4.3 VIN CODE X (H.O.) version of the engine, Tow Package w/3.42's in the back. I would like to tune for power but more for gas mileage. A tune like the hand held tuners SSCT makes or hypertech makes for this truck, i would like to do on my own instead of shelling out 400$ to do it. I havnt been able to find any files for the 96 though...can someone point me in the right direction? and what do you guys think about the tune? Can i clear up around 40 hp and up to 3mpg if i use tunerpro? The only thing I will be modding is the extra piece of metal on the TB plate, a CAI and eventually some sort of exhaust, its a friggin ninja truck. It makes no sound! lol. Also, i will post a log file as soon as if find the bin/other files i need to data log

EagleMark
07-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Not going to find stuff for TunerPro and that vehicle It's OBDII flash based PCM.

I just got a Moates Roadrunner which gaves me the rights to buy TunerCat OBDII, other then that you can't buy it anymore, it was sold to Jet and sold under the name Jet Dynamic Specrtrum Tuner. Only difference is TunerCat OBDII can tune as many vehicles as you want once you buy definition. With Jet it's $100 per vehicle license. If you buy the Jet it comes with 3-4 licences per vehicle. Once a vehecle license is used you can tune and flash that vehicle as many times as you wish.

I've seen Jet DST as low as $300...

dave w
07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm using EFI Live for OBDII, which is expensive:mad1:. I find it very interesting that a very common upgrade for the 96 S-10 PCM is the LS '0411.

dave w

EagleMark
07-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm using EFI Live for OBDII, which is expensive:mad1:. I find it very interesting that a very common upgrade for the 96 S-10 PCM is the LS '0411.

dave wHmmm... so the RoadRunner should work on a Vortec as well? Guess I'll be looking for extra PCM plugs.

dave w
07-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Hmmm... so the RoadRunner should work on a Vortec as well? Guess I'll be looking for extra PCM plugs.

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm thinking the biggest reason for upgrading the 96 PCM is because the OBDII data logging / flashing software available for the 96 S-10 is non-existent?

dave w

gregs78cam
07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
If you are looking "more for gas mileage" CAI is not going to give you a lot more power, but it will hurt MPG.

EagleMark
07-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm thinking the biggest reason for upgrading the 96 PCM is because the OBDII data logging / flashing software available for the 96 S-10 is non-existent?

dave wWell if they are replacing the Vortec PCM with LS1 PCM the RoadRunner should work. RoadRunner is an LS1 replacement PCM for Real Time tuning LS1. Probably more to it then just changing PCM plugs though. This will be a step into future tuning for us.

dave w
07-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Well if they are replacing the Vortec PCM with LS1 PCM the RoadRunner should work. RoadRunner is an LS1 replacement PCM for Real Time tuning LS1. Probably more to it then just changing PCM plugs though. This will be a step into future tuning for us.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?3306-Swapping-12200411-PCM-into-98-Chevy-Truck

"My project was a 97 V6 C1500. The four current PCM connectors need to be disassembled and the wires installed in the new 80 pin type connectors. You will need full schematics for each vehicle and plenty of patience. Work out all details before you pull out the first wire, many are the same color and very difficult to identify afterwards. This gives you the later model PCM benefits and RoadRunner capabilities."

dave w

1project2many
07-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I've never had much luck freeing up mileage in the 4.3 S10 family. I tried switching one vehicle to 4.10 gears and removing the loose converter and that seemed to make the largest difference. That 2000 - 2500 rpm converter plus 3500#+ weight really takes a toll. We currently have a '95 which has the strongest version of the 4.3 other than the turbo engines and it's actually not too bad for power. Mileage is still in the 16 range without fuel additives. I think the strongest combination of factory parts would mate the 95 cam and dual runner intake with the 96+ Vortec heads but it's not a simple bolt on process and you'll need a circuit to switch the tuning valve at the correct rpm. In terms of power you'll find greater gains by working with the exhaust side than the intake. No sense letting more air in if you can't get the exhaust out.

Several years ago I built a 302 Chevy V8 with an LT4 roller cam and 6" rods to put in the '95. I still haven't done it but I think that swap is likely to net the power and mileage I want. I'm fully expecting that a '96 style black box controller will do the trick for this mild engine. The largest shortcoming of the black box is a mysterious rev limit which may be due to the hardware at (IIRC) about 6200 rpm. The Pacific Performance forum was a good source of OBDII truck info a few years ago.

dave w
07-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm fully expecting that a '96 style black box controller will do the trick for this mild engine.

I'm in 100% agreement with the above comment! I'm curious where to get software / hardware to reprogram / flash the 1996 black box type computer? It's my understanding that 1998 and up black box type computers are supported by aftermarket software / hardware but 1996~97 are not?

dave w

EagleMark
07-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm in 100% agreement with the above comment! I'm curious where to get software / hardware to reprogram / flash the 1996 black box type computer? It's my understanding that 1998 and up black box type computers are supported by aftermarket software / hardware but 1996~97 are not?

dave wTunerCat OBDII RT

OBD2_07 1996 - 97 Vortec Trucks (4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L, 7.4L)

OBD2_06 1998 - 00 Vortec Trucks (4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L, 7.4L)

1project2many
07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I have Tunercat OBDII. I picked up my package shortly after TC released the software, maybe in '03 or '04. I really wish there were a program available for reasonable money today which did not cost an arm and leg or have per vehicle "licensing" fees.

EagleMark
07-08-2012, 06:20 PM
You can still buy TunerCat OBDII with a Moates RoadRunner, lots of LS1 guys would buy RR to use with EFI Live, then you are licensed to buy all defs from TC. Still pretty pricey but no per vehicle/license fee for long run...

dave w
07-08-2012, 11:13 PM
You can still buy TunerCat OBDII with a Moates RoadRunner, lots of LS1 guys would buy RR to use with EFI Live, then you are licensed to buy all defs from TC. Still pretty pricey but no per vehicle/license fee for long run...

I think this link is to the TunerCat OBDII software? http://www.moates.net/tunercat-product-combo-all-vehicles.html

I think this link is to the RoadRunner hardware? http://www.moates.net/roadrunner-ls1-realtime-emulation-pcm.html

dave w

EagleMark
07-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Yup, but there's more defs then listed on Moates at:
http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/vdf_sup.html

CapriceLT1
07-12-2012, 03:08 AM
I'm at an average of 20 mpg stock, will put CAI on tonight or tomorrow and from what im gathering i need to buy MORE software to tune my 96 s ten? fn ay....

CapriceLT1
07-12-2012, 03:10 AM
If you are looking "more for gas mileage" CAI is not going to give you a lot more power, but it will hurt MPG.

in my experience they have helped with mileage. Worked on the 96 suburban, the 95 Caprice. Why wouldnt it work on my S10?

So is it better for me to just buy either of these??

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/JET-Performance/Part-Type/Computer-Programmers/Make/CHEVROLET/Engine-Size/4-3L-262/Transmission/Automatic/Model/S10/?keyword=JET

gregs78cam
07-12-2012, 03:19 AM
Well in theory, all thing remaining the same, colder air going into the engine should require more fuel than hotter air. Now if you have a restriction in the intake say from a lower than adequate flowing air filter then putting a CAI may help by eliminating excessive vacuum, i.e. pumping losses.

EagleMark
07-12-2012, 04:09 AM
So is it better for me to just buy either of these??

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/JET-Performance/Part-Type/Computer-Programmers/Make/CHEVROLET/Engine-Size/4-3L-262/Transmission/Automatic/Model/S10/?keyword=JETJust one of those but can go elsewhere and save $150...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=JET+Dynamic+Spectrum+Tuners

CapriceLT1
07-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Just one of those but can go elsewhere and save $150...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=JET+Dynamic+Spectrum+Tuners

I just did summit because i had the page up and was looking but yea anywhere else. Was also thinking about sending it to Alex at PCMperformance, he did my caprice computer. JW is all. Kind of bummed i bough TP RT and cant use it now :(

CapriceLT1
07-12-2012, 04:47 AM
BTW EagleMark, LOVE the new Avatar, i miss my 9C1 hahaha :(

EagleMark
07-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Me too, almost bought a sweet clean white no woodgrain wagon the other day, but it was low on oil and had radiator full of sealer... looking at a 92 9C1 this week... can't bring myself to make payments on a car...