PDA

View Full Version : 37 Ford Tudor Street Rod in Atlanta

JAR_Tudor
07-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Greetings,

About 16+ years ago I inherited a 1937 Ford Tudor that had been previously stored in a barn for 25+ years. I spent roughly 1.5 years tearing the '37 down to bare frame restoration and bought a totaled 1989 Chevy IROC 350 Camaro as a donor car to assemble an all steel ’37 Ford street rod with the following specs:

1937 Ford Tudor Sedan (~2,700 lbs) - no emissions requirements.
1989 IROC Camaro 350 TPI engine with polished plentum & runners.
Bored to .030 over with flat top pistons.
Stock heads, valves, and valve springs.
Custom grind Competition Cam (CS 3161/3162 HR112):

Duration @ .050: In: 220 Ex: 230
Gross Valve Lift: In: .427 Ex:.427
Lobe Separation: 112

Removed MAF, installed MAP sensor, and rewired to a 1990-92 Speed Density system.
Using a stock GM ECU, (#1227730).
Custom programmed prom from Street & Performance.
Lincoln Versailles 9” Rear end with 3.50:1 gears, discs, & 27.95”H wheels.
Rebuilt 700R4 automatic transmission with stock stall speed.
Headers with 2-1/2” dual stainless exhaust (Edelbrock RPM mufflers, Vibrant Ultra quiet resonator).
Changed knock sensor to 1990-92 vintage.
Removed and plugged EGR valve.
Removed Exhaust Air Pump system.
Removed Charcoal canister.
K&N air filter mounted to throttle body.
After 1.5 years the car was built back up to nearly a drivable status less electrical wiring for HVAC, headlights, taillights, sound system, interior upholstery, final paint job, & final assembly. Then a 3rd college degree, two kids, a major move, new job, & new house stalled all progress for 9+ years.

In 2007 I partially resumed progress by beginning to delve into prom programming via help from thirdgen.org as the configuration ran poorly due to an overly rich tuning:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/401124-street-rodder-iroc-350-a.html

Unfortunately another new house and other distractions had paused progress after mid-2007.

Now the kids are growing up and their interest has sparked resurgence incompletion. The 14+ year old gasoline in the tank required me to replace fuel pump, filters, fuel rail o-rings, and install new Bosch Gen III injectors (0280155890 - 22.48 Lbs/Hr vs 22.08 Lbs/Hr@ 43.5PSI???).

Trying to resume my $8D tuning has led me in search of the S_AUJP_V2.BIN files, which in turn led me to gearhead-efi.com.

Regards,
JAR_Tudor

EagleMark
07-07-2012, 06:14 AM
:welcome2:

Nice intro, thanks for sharing, hope you finally complete your project!

:welcome:

1project2many
07-07-2012, 02:03 PM
You must be a true gearhead. You cut up vintage iron to make a toy out of it and what you call "almost driveable condition" would be "nowhere near complete" for most people. :) Getting that car running for the kids would be fun.

I don't have much experience with the super AUJP calibrations but I may have some of the files on my other pc. I'll try to dig them out this weekend. I've got kid watch so I'll be lucky to get anything done.

JAR_Tudor
07-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback... Any leds would be great. Trying to find the original S_AUJP_V2.bin, etc.

By the way, I like your handle "1project2many"! I'm afraid my handle really should have been "dozensprojects2many" - almost too many d$mn simultaneous projects to get any of them finished...

EagleMark
07-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Any leds would be great. Trying to find the original S_AUJP_V2.bin, etc.
It's in the folder Moates gave us!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/moates/moates_files/2)%20Custom%20Modified%20Binaries/

JAR_Tudor
07-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks EagleMark!

Searched Moates for awhile until I realized they were removed. Began searching here, but quickly became side-tracked in much other great information...

Now to clear my mind to see where I should start...

EagleMark
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Now to clear my mind to see where I should start...Pictures? :rockon:

1project2many
07-07-2012, 09:10 PM
By the way, I like your handle "1project2many"! I'm afraid my handle really should have been "dozensprojects2many" - almost too many d$mn simultaneous projects to get any of them finished...
Thanks. Two tips: One, measure success in much smaller ways so "Finished" is never a goal you can't attain. Two, don't ever sit down and list your ongoing projects because that task will become a project in itself.

Edit: I can't find a copy of the S_Aujp V2 definition file on my pc but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.

JAR_Tudor
07-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Excellent tips... Resonates with an old saying of mine - “Set sub-goals, for without them you cannot pace your success.” I once started to take a mental inventory of my many work-in-progress projects, but quit as I feared it might induce anxiety...

I resurrected my six year old post on Thirdgen.org - it appears the recommendation is V4, which I now have found on this site.

Attached are a few pictures I just took... The ‘89/90 IROC TPI 350 fits as if Henry Ford anticipated it - well actually I did have to cut back fire wall ~1” and K&N filter only clears radiator by 1/4"...

gregs78cam
07-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Sweet!!!

EagleMark
07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Nice! :happy:

and K&N filter only clears radiator (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=radiator) by 1/4"... When you get closer to tuning and have some issues under load and WOT switch that K&N filter (dusted motor) to a paper filter (more filtration) to help clear up some turbulance issues from being so close to fan, the slight, and I do meen slight restriction really helps clear this up.

Six_Shooter
07-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Glad to see you made it over, between TGO and here you'll find more than enough information and tips to get your car running well. ;)

EagleMark
07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Edit: I can't find a copy of the S_Aujp V2 definition file on my pc but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.It was a long time ago wasn't it? It's up to V4 nowadays...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?394-1227727-1227730-ECM-Information-8D

1project2many
07-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Seems like a lifetime ago. Yes, it's up to V4 now. Kind of like looking for a copy of Windows 95 because that's what was on the last pc you used. ;)

Six_Shooter
07-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Seems like a lifetime ago. Yes, it's up to V4 now. Kind of like looking for a copy of Windows 95 because that's what was on the last pc you used. ;)

Yes, that's a good analogy, though I might use Windoze ME in it. ;)

JAR_Tudor
07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
EagleMark,

Unfortunately, the K&N is about the only thing that fits without too much aesthetic impact (see photo) - fortunately the K&N is tapered, therefore it just clears the alternator-A/C belt ~1/2" - almost a form follows function, albeit perhaps at less than optimal flow characteristics... Perhaps if I were to get lucky and find an elongated stainless 180 degree bend that would somehow clear the belt, alternator-A/C brace, & radiator...

On a good note, with some help from a ThirdGen.org member I was able to fire it up for the first time in ~5 years after just 2 seconds of cranking! Initial starting point of idle was much improved!

EagleMark
07-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Lots of good guys with knowledge over at Thirdgen.org!

The only reason I mentioned the K&N issue was dyno testing long ago on a TPI with filter mounted in front of fan just like yours! Can't tell if there's a fan in front of yours? Wind won't hurt, but the turbulance of fan really swirled air and messed with WOT tune, took fan off and ran dyno electric fans only and issue went away? Put a paper filter on an issue decreased a lot to pint of good tune. Never knew what to think of it other then to much turbulance and paper gave some protection or resistence?