PDA

View Full Version : VATS Question

DOC327
08-19-2021, 03:31 AM
Hey Guys, soon I'm going to the salvage yard looking for a 1228746: 88-92 Caprice/Camaro 5.0/5.7 L03/L05. Terminal B6 is a VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft) input. Does anyone know what year they started using VATS and if so, is Vats something I can defeat by just unplugging B6, or would it have to be defeated thru programing?

Thanks, Dave

trlrider
08-20-2021, 02:47 AM
I do not remember those year models having a VATS system, was more like a contact switch in the key cylinder.
If it does, the coding would be in the prom, and not the pcm itself.
Personally I would look for a updated pcm with a removable memcal to make life easier to program and have a faster processor.

steveo
08-20-2021, 04:25 PM
the vats systems can never be bypassed by just unplugging something or some simple wiring.

gm made it so the ecm needs to see a modulated signal from the vats module before it'll let the vehicle start.

it has to be programmed out, or replaced with a vats signal simulator of some kind. if you can program the ecm, it's usually just a matter of setting one flag in your bin

DOC327
08-22-2021, 06:34 PM
I do not remember those year models having a VATS system, was more like a contact switch in the key cylinder.
If it does, the coding would be in the prom, and not the pcm itself.
Personally I would look for a updated pcm with a removable memcal to make life easier to program and have a faster processor.

Steveo and trlrider: thanks for the response. I've does some additional research. I looks like the F Body had it starting in 88-89. Thru 1991 the B Body did not. Thanks again. Dave