PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Lt1 tuning

Garret Green
07-15-2021, 05:16 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any tuning files that I could use with tuner pro and tune my 1997 formula firebird with.

Stroked 388
07-15-2021, 03:29 PM
What are you trying to accomplish ? More information is needed. Stock motor... Modified motor setup....

steveo
07-15-2021, 04:53 PM
to tune that ecm you need both a working XDF and a working flash tool. tunerpro doesn't do reflashing.

here's an interesting thread where that ecm is dissected and worked on, i'm not really sure if it's resulted in a good working XDF file yet but there is really good progress: http://gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?7677-1997-F-Body-ECM&highlight=lt1+obd2

not sure of the progress of a free flash tool, i did plan to work on one and do have some experience with that stuff, and was given a lot of collected info that might make it possible, but i don't really have enough time right now. maybe this fall. i know tom h was working on something too, not sure of its progress.

so, it's really early days for free/cheap tuning with that ecm, which is funny because it's 25 years old

we've really blown the doors off the 94-95 ECM, though, and you can very easily convert to an OBD-I ecm if you want to, that would let you use flashhack, eehack, and tunerpro with EEX which are all tools i've developed for free and they're well tested with a huge user base. lots of people have done that. very minimal modifications required to swap to the older ECM.

Garret Green
07-15-2021, 10:14 PM
Would you recommend that I convert to OBD-I then? I'm super new to all of this stuff and just want to know where to start my car has heads and a cam that I didn't install but it is running rough on start and super rich all the time.

LeMarky Dissod
07-16-2021, 06:33 AM
Would you recommend that I convert to OBDI then?If your car is registered in a state that does not bother connecting to its computer for emissions tests, convert to OBD1.
You can either buy OBD1 freeze sensors / knock plugs, or you can have the OBD1 pcm altered to accept OBD2 knock sensor signals.

steveo
07-16-2021, 07:22 AM
don't you just use the knock module from your old ecm ?
i seem to remember that works but not 100% on it, it's been a while.

LeMarky Dissod
07-16-2021, 07:39 AM
The knock module inside the pcm is not an issue. SEE EDIT BELOW.

The knock sensors / freeze plugs in the block are either OBD1 or OBD2.
Some people change the freeze plugs / knock sensors from OBD2 to OBD1, usually if their state does not connect to the car for emissions testing.
For cars that live in states that require OBD2 testing, an OBD1 LT1 pcm can be altered to accept OBD2 knock sensors.

I forget exactly how, but the knock module itself is left alone. SEE EDIT BELOW.

EDIT: To correct the above:
There are also OBD2 knock modules and OBD1 knock modules; they should correspond to the knock sensors being used in the block.
OBD2 knock sensors should be used with an OBD2 knock module. OBD1 knock sensors should be used with an OBD1 knock module.